News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Archy Rosenthal

Started by Franz von Blon, Sunday 27 November 2011, 23:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Franz von Blon

Can anyone supply biographical details on this Irish composer? I have a number of his charming, expertly-written piano works in my music collection but all I can find out about him is that he appears to have studied with Godowsky at one time and is mentioned in Stephen Lloyd's book on Sir Dan Godfrey has having been a soloist with the Bournemouth Orchestra.

eschiss1

According to MusicSack, surname actually Rosenthall with two ls. Born 1874 in Dublin, Ireland and mentioned in the 1937 Who's Who in Music. Mentioned (this time with one "l" in surname) in several issues of the Musical Times in the first decades of the 20th century generally as a pianist. That's a first check... (his last publication seems to be copyright 1942 and is not a republication, suggesting a flourishing-date, approximately?? That's not biography, but it sets a bound on it and is a start.)

Gareth Vaughan

Hmm. COPAC UK lists 61 entries under Archy Rosenthal (one L - nothing at all under Rosenthall with 2 LLs). Maybe he was really Rosenthall but published under the name Rosenthal - to look more Germanic! Many of these entries are duplicates of course and most of the works listed are for solo piano. There is nothing for orchestra.

eschiss1

Yes, I think either MusicSack messed up or that the Who's Who is the only source that lists him under Rosenthall. My mistake there- apologies!

M.J.E.

Hallo.

I've just joined here, upon finding this discussion about Archy Rosenthal, as a result of Googling for his name.
     I don't know anything about his life, really, but I thought people here might be interested to know that I have quite a few piano pieces of his, and to know their titles.  I like them, and play them quite often.
     The main ones I have are a set of 12 short (2 pages) piano pieces.  Although published separately, they appear to be conceived, or at least published, as a set, because all have the same cover drawing, and many of the titles relate to Australian topics - which makes me wonder if Archy Rosenthal migrated to Australia, or at least had an extended visit.  (That's where I am myself.)
     Here are the titles:

Bell Bird Serenade         1941
  Bunyip Pool                1941
  Pelicans' Picnic           1941
  Piccaninnies' Hornpipe     1941
  Waltz of the Wattle        1941
  Koala Lullaby              1942
  Dance of the Dragon-flies  1942
  Dancing Shadows            1942
  'Mid the Ferns             1942
  Pebbly Stream              1942
  Placid Waters              1942
  Silent Pool                1942

I have a few other items - the ones not dated are thus because I don't have the copies available right now to check the dates:

Barcarolle
  Tarantelle
  Morris for May Day
  Girl-Portraits      1948
    1. Margaret
    2. Lucy
    3. Maureen
    4. Mitzi

And also a longish waltz - I forget its exact title, but it's in E major - consisting of a series of short waltzes linked together, a bit like the structure of a J. Strauss waltz - quite virtuoso, a bit in the Godowsky manner, and very much with that feel to it.  (Available on line from the Australian National Library - http://www.nla.gov.au .)

Anyway, I just thought those interested in Archy Rosenthal might be interested to know about these pieces.  In turn, I would be interested to hear about (and to obtain, if possible) any other solo piano pieces he wrote.

Regards, Michael.

Mark Bredon

I would just like to say that I am the Grandson of Archy Rosenthal and his music is being recorded by Duncan Honeybourne on EM records and also there will be a recital at Dorchester Abbey on May 24th of some of his pieces including
Variations on Rock-a-bye Baby (1932) composed to celebrate my birth 82 years ago!  The bulk of his works is being held in Greenwich by the Trinity College of Music library.

Alan Howe

Thank you, Mark. And welcome to UC!

semloh

That's wonderful, Mark!  :)

And, welcome to UCs.

M.J.E.

Hallo, Mark.

Interesting to hear that you are Archy Rosenthal's grandson - and also that his music is being recorded.  I must look out for that.  Is it a whole record of his music, or just one or two pieces included on a compilation featuring several composers?
     If any sheet music by him is available other than the pieces I listed above, I would be very interested to obtain it.  Does the Trinity College of Music Library supply photocopies of any of his scores?
     Further searching shows that, as I earlier suspected, Archy Rosenthal did migrate to Australia.  Do you know when he did that, and how long he lived there?  And can you tell me what year he died?  Thanks.

Regards, Michael.

M.J.E.

Hallo.

I just found this newspaper clipping about Archy Rosenthal, soon after he died in 1947:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1301&dat=19470512&id=hdcQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=5JMDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1703,1426522

It answers some of the questions I had about him, and I thought it might be of interest to anyone interested in the work of Archy Rosenthal.

Regards, Michael.

Mark Bredon

Regarding Archy Rosenthal:  There will be  CD issued within the next week or so "An Irish Idyll" on EM records
played by Duncan Honeybourne. Most of the CD is devoted to the music of my grandfather Archy Rosenthal