Rheinberger Violin Sonatas Nos.1 (1874) & 2 (1877)

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 04 March 2018, 11:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...forthcoming from Brilliant Classics:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/rheinberger-complete-violin-sonatas/hnum/8136975
Absolutely gorgeous, melodic pieces, these. I actually prefer them to Brahms' famous violin sonatas for the sheer generosity of the writing involved. Think of them as the chamber equivalent of Bruch's concertos, and you're not far off the mark. They were very well done by Hans Maile (violin) and Horst Göbel (piano) on Thorofon, but their recordings are part of a complete set of Rheinberger's chamber music, still available, but obviously rather expensive:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Joseph-Rheinberger-1839-1901-S%E4mtliche-Kammermusik/hnum/6823721
Mind you, I've never regretted buying the Thorofon set as the music is so wonderful.

eschiss1

"Think of them as the chamber equivalent of Bruch's concertos"
Do I have to? If I didn't know the Rheinberger violin sonatas that would put me off right there.
I have a recording of these two works on the Christophorus label (with a suite for violin and organ, transcribed, separating them) and they are lovely- and to my ears much more lyrical than virtuosic, even in the concluding tarantella of the first sonata.

(The second sonata (of 1877) was, 15 or so years later, transcribed, by the composer I believe, and published also by Kistner for clarinet and piano.) The overall key becomes E-flat minor - more convenient for a clarinet maybe, and it does lead to the somewhat barcarole-like slow movement being in B-flat major rather than B...)
(Also, I don't think Bruch ended any of his violin concertos the way Rheinberger ends the 2nd sonata. Their endings are all a fair amount cheerier and just less _angry_ (not too, erm, project) - almost all his minor-mode works, if I remember. Though this has _nothing_ on the end of Rheinberger's string quintet.)

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteI've never regretted buying the Thorofon set as the music is so wonderful.

Neither have I. It is an enduring source of joy.

Alan Howe

QuoteDo I have to? If I didn't know the Rheinberger violin sonatas that would put me off right there.

Nope, you don't have to. But the open-hearted flood of melody is common to both composers. That much is clear.

Alan Howe

Judging by the excerpts available at jpc, these performances aren't a patch on those in the Thorofon complete chamber music set.

eschiss1

Now available from Records International, where apparently Brilliant Classics describes the first Rheinberger violin sonata, available already from Thorofon (complete chamber music set) and from Christoforus (coupled with the 2nd sonata and a suite for violin and organ-or-piano), as a "first recording".  Come again now? (Maybe if the CD's been in the works since before the other two were... it's possible.)

Alan Howe

eschiss1

At least some of the Thorofon Rheinberger recordings are quite good, but I've had the Besig/Brembeck in my collection for quite some time and much enjoyment (I haven't heard either of the competitors so shouldn't make comparative comment...)

Alan Howe

I've found a copy of the Besig/Brembeck recording at Amazon, so it'll be interesting to hear how it compares.

Alan Howe

Will do. I'm really looking forward to hearing it - they're wonderful pieces.

Alan Howe

Well, the Besig/Brembeck CD has arrived. Any one thing's for certain: the balance between the instruments is excellent - much better than on Thorofon (Maile/Göbel). However, that said, there just isn't the commitment in Besig's playing. It's all rather 'contained' in comparison with Maile's much more expressive command of the music. So, while I'm glad to have Besig/Brembeck, my attachment to Maile/Göbel remains. Wonderful music, though. A remix of the Thorofon recording would be the ideal solution...