News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Eggert in Helsingborg

Started by Hofrat, Sunday 12 September 2010, 09:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Hofrat

In a private post from a forum member it has been brought to my attention that Joachim Eggert's "Bernadotte Cantata" will be performed on 14 October 2010 by the Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra.

Hofrat

Joachim Eggert's C-minor symphony was performed by the Gavle Symphony Orchestra on 17 September 2010.  I await the reviews.

Alan Howe

Quote from: Hofrat on Saturday 18 September 2010, 11:36
Joachim Eggert's C-minor symphony was performed by the Gavle Symphony Orchestra on 17 September 2010.  I await the reviews.

Will this form the basis of the forthcoming recording on Naxos?

Hofrat

Naxos wants to record all 4 Eggert symphonies.  The E-flat and C-major have been recorded already (release pending); the C-minor and G-minor were to be recorded late September 2010.  The problem is that the conductor who recorded the major-keyed symphonies can not record the minor-keyed symphonies due to contractual reasons.  The Gavle Orchestra and Naxos are looking for a replacement.  As for the 2 recorded symphonies, they comprise only 49 minutes of music and Naxos wants to fill-out the content.  So the release of the recording has been postponed.

That is all that I can divulge.   

Alan Howe

Thanks - still, an exciting prospect.

JimL

Quote from: Hofrat on Saturday 18 September 2010, 14:06
Naxos wants to record all 4 Eggert symphonies.  The E-flat and C-major have been recorded already (release pending); the C-minor and G-minor were to be recorded late September 2010.  The problem is that the conductor who recorded the major-keyed symphonies can not record the minor-keyed symphonies due to contractual reasons.
I've never heard of a contract that stipulated that a conductor couldn't record minor-key symphonies!  ;D

Kriton

Quote from: JimL on Saturday 18 September 2010, 15:18
Naxos wants to record all 4 Eggert symphonies.  The E-flat and C-major have been recorded already (release pending); the C-minor and G-minor were to be recorded late September 2010.  The problem is that the conductor who recorded the major-keyed symphonies can not record the minor-keyed symphonies due to contractual reasons.
I've never heard of a contract that stipulated that a conductor couldn't record minor-key symphonies!  ;D
Thank you for that, Jim. I actually laughed out quite loudly reading that (at my laptop, with classical music in the "back"ground), and now consider myself to be 100% nerd. :)

Hofrat

Sorry about the odd wording.  The conductor could not record the 2 Eggert minor-keyed symphonies because of contractual reasons and not because of inability.   

JimL

Quote from: Hofrat on Saturday 18 September 2010, 15:40
Sorry about the odd wording.  The conductor could not record the 2 Eggert minor-keyed symphonies because of contractual reasons and not because of inability.
I didn't question his ability.  I questioned his contract.  Read the joke again.

Hofrat

Syrelius

As for the 2 recorded symphonies, they comprise only 49 minutes of music and Naxos wants to fill-out the content.  So the release of the recording has been postponed.

Do you know anything about their plans for fillers?

Hofrat

I think they want more Eggert.

Syrelius

Quote from: Hofrat on Monday 20 September 2010, 14:40
It's always nice with a well-filled disc, but from what I understand there is not much more orchestral music to record except the symphonies? I hope they are not planning to fill the disc with a third symphony, leaving the fourth unrecorded...

eschiss1

Quote from: Syrelius on Sunday 26 September 2010, 22:10
Quote from: Hofrat on Monday 20 September 2010, 14:40
It's always nice with a well-filled disc, but from what I understand there is not much more orchestral music to record except the symphonies? I hope they are not planning to fill the disc with a third symphony, leaving the fourth unrecorded...
Someone's probably going to have the clever idea of orchestrating a chamber work. To belay that, what is the 'not much' more orchestral music? :)

Hofrat

I do not have direct communications with Naxos and the Gavle Symphony Orchestra.  All I know is that the orchestra is committed to record the four Eggert symphonies.  So far only the C-major and the E-flat major symphonies have been recorded.  The remaining two symphonies, in C-minor and G-minor, were to be recorded in he last week of September; however, a contract disagreement arose and the designated conductor was compelled to drop out at the last minute.  That left the recordings in a limbo.  The orchestra is looking for a replacement conductor.  When one is found, then everything hinges on setting up recording sessions (which may take a lot of time).  I do not know what Naxos plans to do with only 49 minutes of recorded music at this time.