Marx Autumn Symphony from cpo

Started by mjkFendrich, Tuesday 04 September 2018, 21:19

Previous topic - Next topic

der79sebas

As for the Herbst Symphony:
1. Unfortunately, the LPO recording will not be released, as Jurowsky was not satisfied with the quality of the performance.
2. cpo recorded the Herbstsinfonie in June 2018 in Graz/Austria with Wildner conducting (this is not a rumor - I was a little bit involved in this). The recording is to be released in spring 2019, but we all know: cpo does not hurry up things.
3. JoAnn Falletta wanted to do a recording for Naxos in Berlin last year, but due to the quality of the material (handwritten parts!) the orchestra refused. In the meantime, Universal Edition decided to edit the material newly - let us hope that it is true and that JoAnn adheres to her plans! Anyway, a printed version of the orchestral material should really boost interest and readiness for the piece!
4. Forget about the rumors with Cornelius Meister - they are untrue. We tried to convince him of the piece for years but he remained stubborn here as everywhere (and we are very happy to have got rid of him recently!).

adriano

1) If it's Vladimir Jurowski, I will not miss this recording at all. I was so disappointed by his Zürich "Gezeichneten"! An intelligent reviewer even wrote that this kind of approach could even be interpreted as a not all too good omen for his 1921 Munich Opera GMD engagement. And this not only because of the many clumsy (really unprofessional) cuts he agreed to be done in the score.
2) The Wildner will be surely an excellent recording. Alas, cpo needs sometimes 4 years to have its CDs issued!
3) After my disappointment at Mrs Falletta's "Ilya Muromets", I am not keen on such a recording either.
4) Good!

Alan Howe

Great news about Wildner's recording. He's a fine conductor.

Ilja

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 18 November 2018, 14:33
Great news about Wildner's recording. He's a fine conductor.
Indeed. And one who has proven his merit in other Marx recordings, most notably Eine Frühlingsmusik and Feste im Herbst, both works I vastly prefer over the Herbstsinfonie, to be honest.

Alan Howe

Woweeeeeeeeeee! Thanks for the news. Already on order - or will be in a tick...

Tapiola

Stupendous news! Let's hope it's the uncut version.

der79sebas

Oh, you were faster than me! @SymponicAddict: To my knowledge, it is indeed the uncut version.

Tapiola

Thanks for the conffirmation @der79sebas, at last we will be able to enjoy this robust piece in all its glory!

eschiss1

Now listed in this month's new releases @ JPC/cpo, too. Neat.

Alan Howe

My copy arrived this morning: first impressions - excellent sound, conductor keeps things moving (TT 67:00), probably to the music's advantage. Swierczewski back in 2005 took 73:38...

Alan Howe

I'd say that Wildner has got the work about right, avoiding excessive languor while allowing sufficient room for the music to breathe. If you see what I mean...

adriano

This new recording by Johannes Wildner is excellent.
What gorgeous music! I won't get rid of Swierczewski's version, but definitely of Botstein's.
But at the same time attentive music lovers should realize/admit that Marx's introductory music of Herbstsymphonie (written in 1921) would have not been possible without Schreker's "Prelude to a Drama" (written in 1914), or its reduced form, the Prelude to "Die Gezeichneten" (written in 1915). Let's call this a "homage" or a "reminiscence" to be mild :-).
I am happy that the author of the (excellent) CD liner notes also mentions this influence. Many years ago, I once dared to reveal this to two German musicians who disliked Schreker but are Marx fans; they felt offended and walked away from our conversation.
As far as Marx's musical style is concerned, there is also an influence of Respighi, particularly in his "Castelli Romani".

Alan Howe

Do you think that Ravel's Daphnis et Chloé (first performed 1912) is an influence too, Adriano?

adriano

Of course, Alan, but let's not destroy the piece :-)
Respighi's music too has a lot of Debussy, Ravel and other French composers (including Franck and Saint-Saens). Not to speak about his youthful Richard Strauss and Russian inspirations...