Massenet: Cendrillon on Naxos DVD

Started by Revilod, Tuesday 18 September 2018, 11:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Revilod

I don't know if Massenet's "Cendrillon" counts as unsung.  Borderline, perhaps!  A DVD of a Freiburg production was issued a few weeks ago on Naxos. Photographs and this trailer suggest an imaginative, if small scale production, but the sound seems poor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEHPMvImLUw

So far, I have not been able to find any reviews. I have resisted the less-than-magical Covent Garden production with Joyce DiDonato.
Any comments?

Alan Howe

Oh, it's unsung alright. But on CD we already have a virtually unsurpassable performance with Frederica von Stade...

Revilod

Do you think so, Alan? Massenet wanted a lyric mezzo for the role of "Le Prince Charmant", not a tenor....Nicolai Gedda...and he's not in his freshest voice. That's the big drawback of that set.

Alan Howe

I agree. But von Stade is heavenly. I wouldn't touch the Naxos DVD with a bargepole - nasty sound and all...

Ebubu

"a virtually unsurpassable performance with Frederica von Stade..."
Von Stade, AND Welting, AND BerbiƩ, AND a wonderful orchestra and conductor.
BUT what the hell did they have in mind ruining that 3rd act with a Gedda past the consumption date ???  >:( (and especially as the score specifically requires a mezzo for the role.  Would any artistic director worthy of the title consider recording a Rosenkavalier with a(n old) tenor as Octavian ???).

Freiburg can do interesting things, but their stage means are somewhat limited.  The excerpt I watched from this production of Cendrillon wasn't appealing at all to me.

Alan Howe

A bit extreme, but I agree with your objection.

Revilod

I've now had a chance to see this Naxos recording and have been very pleasantly surprised. Whatever you may think of the circus "big top" setting, the singing is excellent. In fact, in spite of the lack of big names, I would go so far as to say it is the most consistently well sing of the three DVD sets currently available. ( There's a new one just out from Glyndebourne. ) That bluster which is not part of Massenet's style and which so often disfigures the roles of Pandolfe and Madame de la Haltiere is largely missing. Even the small role of the king is taken by a really fine bass/baritone.