News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hummel edition

Started by eschiss1, Monday 24 September 2018, 13:47

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Hopefully somewhat relevant insofar as Hummel was partially a proto-Romantic- there's a 20-CD (but also I presume streamable) Hummel edition on the way from Brilliant  Classics, according to MDT. (Personally I've come to rather like their big editions on the whole, especially when, cheapskate that I am somewhat forced to be at this time, I've been able to stream them or acquire them inexpensively (as with their big Tallis edition - reissues of Signum material I think but anycase about $1/CD in mp3 format iirc.))

It does contain (the opera) Mathilde von Guise and an oratorio (and "other sacred choral music") in addition to much piano and concertante music, though a look at the summary table of contents suggests some opportunities missed, maybe (or maybe not?). (No apparent mention of the string quartets - though it is a summary listing - but the clarinet quartet is listed.)

TerraEpon

Well of course they can only use what they are able to licence or have recordings of themselves (or be willing it) and they also like to make CD numbers neat, so stuff gets lost along the way (even in the case of the so-called but almost never actually complete editions)

Border Collie

Alan Howe

....ah, yes. Value for money.