Dora Bright & Ruth Gipps: Piano Concertos

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 13 September 2019, 11:36

Previous topic - Next topic

matesic

Another performance of Ruth Gipp's concerto played by pianist Eileen Broster and conducted by "Wid" (as Ruth Gipps was known to all her players!) herself is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krfbm3ePmRw&t=2s. I hadn't heard of Eileen Broster but I see she was still performing as recently as 2013 so I guess this recording isn't as ancient as it sounds (no information is given on youtube and the orchestra is anonymous - perhaps the Chanticleer which was the scratch professional band Ruth Gipps frequently conducted). It's a good piece and in most respects a fine performance

CorentinBoissier

In the archival recording of Gipps' concerto I uploaded on my YouTube channel collectionCB2, the orchestra is the BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra.
Indeed, this recording is probably not so old, since the "Ruth Gipps obituary" indicates "in 1948 her piano concerto was a great success. Many years later, it was revived and broadcast by Eileen Broster".

preynolds

According to the BBC Archives the performance was broadcast on 24 May 1972.  I do not know if this was live or a recording.

JeremyMHolmes

A very positive review of this album has appeared on musicweb:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2019/Sep/Bright_Gipps_SOMMCD273.html

There are also links in this review to earlier musicweb reviews of the previous recording of the Gipps concerto.

Mark Thomas

John Quinn's review gives a very fair and accurate description of this recording and his final judgement: "I don't think that any of the pieces are ever likely to become staples of the repertoire but their complete neglect is unjustified and they are all well worth hearing" is spot on.

Kevin

''...their complete neglect is unjustified and they are all well worth hearing"

In my experience you can say that about a lot of unsung classical music, especially, I've found, from these boards.

Mark Thomas

Kevin

You're doing a good job too of it too. Please keep it up! :)