Melartin: Symphony nr 5 (Sinfonia brevis) (broadcast)

Started by jani, Wednesday 14 November 2018, 22:58

Previous topic - Next topic

jani

This evening at 19:00 (+2 UTC) Sinfonia brevis (Symphony nr 5, 1916) by Erkki Melartin is performed by Turku Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Klaus Mäkelä.

You can watch it live at http://www.tfo.fi/fi/live/suomi-venaja

eschiss1

anyone have any idea if this performance is based on the new critical editions made by the Melartin Society? I have the Ondine recording that isn't, but have heard the YouTube recording of no.3 based on the newer edition and while I otherwise like Grin's set faute de mieux (that's not quite true, there are some really good alternatives for a few of these works already, even based on older editions), it would be good to hear what can be done with these so-to-speak cleaned-up scores which may be even better, on the evidence (imho.)

I've become something of a fan of this composer ever since someone I mostly only knew online called me to strongly recommend I buy the Ondine recording of 5&6 :)

jani

Yes, the performance will be based on the Melartin Society edition of the symphony.

Grin recording and all older archival recordings cuts bars 286-297 in the first movement. And in the fourth movement Grin cuts bars 271-288, to my knowledge Grin is the only recording where there is a cut in the fourth movement.

I think 6th symphony in the Ondine set is the only symphony recorded without cuts. 1st and 3rd symphony have suffered most, and in the 4th symphony they leave out whole recapitulation in the 1st movement! Rondo-finale has also little left of the rondo form :(

eschiss1

Good to know. Hope the published version of the 6th symphony fairly well represents it (though the Melartin society site - which is down I think- used to have the scores available for download, and iirc they may still be available, will have to check.)
I'll be busy at work (hrm- 2 pm EST?) (followed by a long bus ride soon after...) at the time but hope that it's rebroadcast or even recorded.
Thanks!

britishcomposer

jani, do you know if the booklet text of the Ondine edition is based on the original scores?
I must confess I have problems following the descriptions when listening to these recordings.
They seem to describe things which weren't played.

jani

Erkki Melartin Society's page is now at erkkimelartin.fi
and scores can be found at http://erkkimelartin.fi/em/?page_id=23
Page is only in Finnish, so it is a bit difficult to find scores, so better use the link above.

It is indeed true that work descriptions in the booklet don't always match with what is played in the Ondine recording. Probably the writer didn't have a chance to hear record masters and he worked from the manuscript scores only.

jani

The Turku concert seems to be already available from archive of Turku Philharmonic Orchestra http://vod.kepit.tv/tfo.html and there at "Tallenteet" (means recordings)

eschiss1

jdperdrix

I've saved it, extracted the audio part of the symphony from the video and uploaded it to mediafire (see download section).

semloh