News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Apolinary Szeluto...?

Started by Kriton, Sunday 26 September 2010, 19:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Kriton

Dear all,

I'm wondering who of you has heard of the Polish composer Apolinary Szeluto? I hadn't heard of him until today, but reading on Wikipedia I saw he was born in 1884, a student of Godowski, and his catalogue of works comprises, among (a great many!) other things,

5 piano concertos
1 violin concerto
1 cello concerto
25 symphonies (!)
70 opera's (!!!)

Apparently he promoted modern music, but that doesn't have to say anything; I wonder if his compositional style is old-fashioned enough for me to like...

I feel slightly ashamed that a 19th/early 20th century composer of 25 symphonies and 70 opera's has remained unknown to me until today. Can someone shed light on his style?

I'm thinking of ordering a fairly new Dux-CD with his violin sonata, cello sonata, and a string quartet. Perhaps someone here has this CD already?

(apologies if he has already been discussed elsewhere on the forum)

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

(Any English-speaker who doesn't know Polish or German can find at least one brief article in English on Szeluto as a source for the German-language Wikipedia article- this one . The considerable list of works, without op.nos., in the German-language Wikipedia article is taken from a Polish-language worklist with op.nos. here.)

M. Henriksen

The Polish-language Eric is referring to is also avaliable in English (with a short but informative biography):

http://www.culture.pl/en/culture/artykuly/os_szeluto_apolinary

Start recording someone!

Morten