Sullivan The Light of the World

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 22 November 2018, 16:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

This is certainly lovely - and dramatic - music, but some of the singing could be better. Bass-baritone Neal Davies, for example, sports a formidable vibrato bordering on a wobble which makes for rather uncomfortable listening and tenor Robert Murray is sorely stretched by some of the more strenuous writing (oh, for a modern-day Heddle Nash!). Mind you, Natalya Romaniw whom I've heard at Opera Holland Park is a major talent and a wonderful piece of casting here as Mary, the mother of Jesus. The choral contribution from the BBC Symphony Chorus is also spectacularly fine.

Overall, a much more interesting and beautiful piece than I had been expecting. Thanks go to Mark T. for urging me to explore Sullivan's piece more thoroughly. I'm glad I did.

Mark Thomas

Good oh! I do agree with you about both Davies and Murray, by the way, but for me it didn't get in the way of enjoying the recording.

Alan Howe

They didn't spoil it for me either, but there is clearly a problem in the modern era. Far too often these days we are subjected to sub-standard, unlovely singing from soloists who apparently have made a name for themselves but whose performances hardly bear repeated listening.

semloh

Thanks, Mark. Putting you under pressure ( ;D) squeezed out a delicious reaction - not a masterpiece, yet tuneful, light, masterful orchestration, transparent choral textures and powerful solos. As a Sullivan fan, it sounds pretty good to me, and yet another to go on the 'wants' list!

Mark Thomas

It needs to be there, Colin. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.