The 5 symphonies of Grechaninov (1864-1956)

Started by DennisS, Friday 19 February 2010, 14:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengelli

NB A cautionary note,however! I must admit,I haven't heard the 'Ocean' symphony for quite some years,so maybe I am 'viewing' it with 'Rose tinted spectacles. As someone pointed out,the 'Hebrides' it isn't,but it gave me some pleasure at the time. As to the 'Fifth', I do mean 'tremendous' in the pianistic sense,as opposed to 'tremendously original!

Pengelli

Stop press: Shock! Horror! David Hurwitz is actually quite nice about the 'Ocean symphony'. Well,I never!

Alan Howe

Having invested in No.2, I have thoroughly enjoyed the piece - marvellous passion à la Tchaikovsky in the slow movement and some gorgeous orchestration throughout. Look like I had completely underestimated this one - which is always nice to admit! Superior performance and presentation from Chandos too.

febnyc

I'm awfully late coming to this topic (I even had a red warning appear, telling me this is an old thread) but c'mon folks - Grechaninov's music is to wallow in - especially the early symphonies.

Take the Second - his "Pastoral".  The opening movement is gorgeous, with a beautiful echt-Russian theme, akin to a similar treatment in the First Symphony of Kalinnikov.  It is followed by a lush and deep slow movement, before moving on to the folk song-imbued third (which contains another lovely melody in the trio section).  Top it all off with a rousing, powerful finale, and you have a majestic Symphony.

Even though, I suppose, Grechaninov found most of his fame with his choral works, for me the Symphonies are the best part of his output.  Yes, I enjoy his chamber pieces, too - but I could feast on the Grechaninov Second any day - and do, often!

mbhaub

While I can't say Gretchaninov was a great composer, his first two symphonies sure are beautiful works. The slow movement of the first in particular is a very evocative, haunting thing. His choral masterpiece, Passion Week, is just breathtaking. I heard it when the Phoenix Bach Chorale recorded it. To hear it in a darkened church was one of the greatest musical memories of my life. Too bad the symphonies aren't taken up by orchestras.

eschiss1

For awhile , I was convinced there was a 6th symphony.  Turns out the reason why is, that the New York Public Library catalog listed the sketches he left for a 6th symphony among its holdings, I'd seen that and not read carefully... (apparently he was working on it in the 1940s. They now list it among a body of other sketches, it's still there but not as a separate entry...)
Eric

jerfilm

Someone mentioned the conducting of Svetlanov.  But I don't see anyone referring to his compositions.  His music is quite 19th century and there was a Melodiya set of Lps some year ago which I think have reappeared on Cds which I think are worth exploring.  Included a Symphony in b, a Piano Concerto, a work for violin and orchestra, a sym. poem, among other goodies.

eschiss1

Quote from: jerfilm on Sunday 26 September 2010, 00:36
Someone mentioned the conducting of Svetlanov.  But I don't see anyone referring to his compositions.  His music is quite 19th century and there was a Melodiya set of Lps some year ago which I think have reappeared on Cds which I think are worth exploring.  Included a Symphony in b, a Piano Concerto, a work for violin and orchestra, a sym. poem, among other goodies.

I've heard the string quartet and a set of variations for harp and strings if I remember. Enjoyable.

Delicious Manager

Quote from: wunderkind on Saturday 20 February 2010, 23:13
Quote from: izdawiz on Saturday 20 February 2010, 19:26
I can think of a delightful disc by the Dutton Label which  includes Grechaninov's String Quartet #3 along with Lyapunov ' finely composed darkish-romantic Sextet, a gem. T

Agree - this could be the best CD Dutton has produced - the "best," that is considering the quality of the relatively obscure music it presents.  The Lyapunov Sextet is one of the glories of the chamber genre - and yet it's totally unknown.  As for Grechaninov - his Symphonies are wonderful works, in my opinion, and need so much more exposure.  But that Lyapunov Sextet - it's a must hear if ever there was one.

How nice to read that. I manage the Dante Quartet!

Gerhard Griesel

Thanks to DennisS and others for making me aware of Grechaninov. I found a Naxos label with Symphonies 1 & 2 at Amazon, and ordered it. The bit that one can hear on Amazon sounds fine. The other symphonies were not available at a good price.