Miriam Hyde Piano Concertos

Started by Mark Thomas, Saturday 08 December 2018, 08:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

The two piano concertos of the Australian Miriam Hyde have been mentioned a couple of times here over the years, but the CD on which they were available has been very hard to find. The recordings, together with a couple of short orchestral works by her are now available for download at Qobuz here (and maybe elsewhere), and I thoroughly recommend both the music and the performances. Both works date from the 1930s IIRC, but they're completely romantic is style, rather reminiscent of Rachmaninov in harmony, orchestration and their melodic generosity. If you like a traditional, old-style barnstorming piano concerto then you'll love these two.

Alan Howe

edurban

Alan Howe

I'd forgotten that I bought them some years ago. They're certainly very attractive, but with nothing like the memorability or heft of, say, Rachmaninov. Or Mathieu.

Mark Thomas

Oh no, but enjoyable Rachmaninov-lite certainly, and none the worse for that. We can't be listening to masterpieces all the time .

Alan Howe

Quoteenjoyable Rachmaninov-lite
...is an excellent characterisation.

semloh

Yes, indeed.
Hyde has recently been receiving some long overdue coverage on Australian Classic FM - "gosh, she's rather good isn't she!". Like a number of Australian composers (e.g. Alfred Hill), she'll probably have her month in the sun and then be put back on the shelf to gather dust until the next 'discovery' in a few years' time. I hope I'm wrong because I think her music would be a welcome regular addition to concert programmes.