News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Best discovery for 2018

Started by semloh, Thursday 13 December 2018, 11:56

Previous topic - Next topic

gprengel

One of my greatest discoveries this years has been Kalinnikov with his 1st symphony! Gorgeous especially the first 2 movements! I adore the second theme of the 1st movement and the fugato in the development, ... and the slow movement has a unique beauty - one of the most melodious and touching slow movements I know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EdnO6vEaHk

https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/130802/qrur  (score!!)

Alan Howe

Yes, a marvellously lyrical and memorable work.

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

If I had encountered it earlier, my discovery of the year would definitely have been Rimsky-Korsakov's The Tsar's Bride in the Bolshoi/Mansurov recording from 1973 featuring Vishnevskaya, Arkhipova, Atlantov and Nesterenko. All I can say is this is palpably a great opera by a great composer in a performance of a grandeur and excitement that could only be achieved by a Russian cast, orchestra and conductor. It is as fine an opera recording as I have ever heard.

kolaboy

I would second the B. Godard vote. That disc of his Melodies was a revelation. Also, the Hyperion disc of A. Fesca's Piano Trios...

tappell

Kalinnikov was one of the first LP's I purchased in a shop in Manette street off Charing Cross Road, that imported Melodiya recordings.

The beauty of his two symphonies has never waned since, and that was 45 years ago.

It started my search for other unsung composers, initially Russian, Glazunov for example, who was unsung then, and through this forum, I have discovered so many other unsung composers that I would have never discovered otherwise. Thank you for the immense pleasure you have given me.

Mark Thomas

Ah, I remember that shop very well. An upstairs room, run by a guy who always wore an overcoat because, I guess, there wasn't enough money to heat the place!

alberto

My best discovery for 2018 is Emilie Mayer Fourth Symphony (Capriccio recording) . I arrived late in hearing this Symphony, which I know appreciated since years by many in the forum.
One would really hear more music (and mostly more symphonies) from this excellent and surprising musician (even if the double Cd Capriccio is more than something)
If I should indicate a second title it would be the gentle and not over-ambitious First Violin Concerto by Josef B.Foerster (Supraphon-BBC recording).

Alan Howe

After Symphony No.3 it's downhill all the way for me. I think Weingartner may have been at his best aping other composers...

Mark Thomas

Yes, I'm with Alan I'm afraid, John. Weingartner's wasn't a wine which improved with age.

Alan Howe

adriano

Weingartner: I am joining in with Alan and Mark - so we make a trio :-)

eschiss1

Dissent unsurprisingly from me- what late Weingartner I've heard I've enjoyed quite a lot, including the odd 6th symphony...

UnsungMasterpieces

My best discovery for 2018 was definitely Feliks Nowowiejski.

Alan Howe

Which music of his particularly caught your ear?