Castelnuovo-Tedesco Violin "Concerto" No 3 etc

Started by Revilod, Thursday 13 December 2018, 17:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Revilod

Has anyone else been listening to the Naxos disc of C-T's Violin "concerto" (it's actually for violin and piano) No.3, the String trio and the Sonata for Violin and 'Cello? This is all first-rate music....and virtually all of it would easily fall within the remit of this forum. (The finale of the trio may push at the boundaries a little!) The sonata, in particular, is little short of a masterpiece....enormously challenging  for the players but brilliantly worked out and seamlessly (yet not confusingly) constructed. The performances are quite superb as is the recording. Don't miss it. There is so much more to C-T than that guitar concerto!

semloh

There is so much more to C-T than that guitar concerto!

Yes, indeed. His orchestral music is increasingly well covered by CD, and I've always loved his Guitar Quintet, but I don't know the works you mention. Thanks for the recommendation - sounds like another for that ever-growing 'wants list'!

Revilod

It's not surprising you don't know this music, semloh. The booklet is not clear but the "concerto" and the sonata were definitely not published. The concerto was "unperformed" . It is, in fact, quite possible that none of this music has been performed before, at least not in public.

eschiss1

The 3rd violin concerto Op.102 and the sonata for violin and cello Op.148 were finally published last year, I see, by Edition Curci, in editions by Angelo Gilardino. (Found them at SBN.IT but they're also shown at the Edizionicurci.it website for sale: the concerto and the sonata. Will have to see if the site contains, as some such publishers' sites do, information about performances etc., or if there's an official composer site- I believe there is - but if it's helpful enough to have that information more "definitely" :D ) His star is, it seems, on the upswing with several recent premiere recordings (including two so-to-speak premieres of his cello concerto (not literally both premieres in the same sense, I know) last year) too.

eschiss1

"There is so much more to C-T than that guitar concerto!"

The complete list of his works I saw a year or so ago... (ah yes, the LoC finding aid PDF, linked to mistakenly as a "see also" at the bottom of the Wikipedia C-T worklist; it's actually the source, not just a see-also) was rather - diverse :)

eschiss1

(Lastly in passing, I see that Brilliant Classics has a recording of C-T's concertos for guitar and for 2 guitars, but the liner notes don't mention (the detail) that the 2nd concerto is nicknamed "Concerto sereno". Pity- it's a nice detail :)

eschiss1

semloh