Nepomuceno Symphony in G minor

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 28 December 2018, 23:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

We've mentioned Alberto Nepomuceno's Symphony in G minor (1893) at UC before, but here's the announcement of its first commercial recording:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8539076--alberto-nepomuceno-symphony-in-g

eschiss1

was its LP recording on Festa Discos non-commercial ? (I also see a 1991 CD which does look to be non-commercial, issued by a school, and a 1996 CD on Construtora Lix de la Cunha.)

Alan Howe

You're correct, Eric. Mike Herman over at MusicWeb has these two entries in his discography ITALIAN, PORTUGUESE, SPANISH AND LATIN AMERICAN SYMPHONIES from the 19th Century to the Present:

Symphony in G minor (1893)

Roberto Duarte/Orquestra Sinfônica da Escola de Música da UFRJ
( + Oswald: Elegy and Miguez: Prometeu)
ORSEM CD EM UFRJ 001 (1991)

Edoardo de Guarnieri/Orquestra Sinfônica Brasileira
FESTA LDR 5.018 (LP) (1960s

Alan Howe

I'm sure, though, that the Naxos will be the first widespread commercial release of the symphony.

Mykulh

Thanks for this good news. Now there are 3 listings of this charming symphony in my discography. Hopefully, other romantic symphonies from the vast reaches of Latin America will be unearthed and recorded in the near future.

Mike

Alan Howe

Thanks, Mike, for all your diligent work in making available these invaluable discographies. Glad there's now one more added to this particular listing.

jasthill

The Naxos logo on the front of the album cover says Naxos - The Music of Brazil, something I've not noticed before.  An examination of the repertory of the concert series at the Minas Gerais Philharmonic Orchestra shows they play a plethora of Brazilian composers.  They have appeared on the Naxos CD's of Villa-Lobos guitar music playing some individual Villa-Lobos orchestral compositions.  Who knows maybe another Naxos series.

Alan Howe

The orchestra featured here, the Minas Gerais Philharmonic, is based in the capital of the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, a city of 2½ million people. The MGP was formed ten years ago.

Alan Howe

jasthill

More info - Brasil em Concerto - release from the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign affairs (article is in portuguese - google does a reasonable translation job).

http://www.itamaraty.gov.br/pt-BR/notas-a-imprensa/19767-projeto-brasil-em-concerto

Mark Thomas

I'm looking forward to this release, and the sound bites now available at online retailers are certainly encouraging. The Symphony promises to be a tuneful work in the Germanic tradition (Nepomuceno was taught by Herzogenberg), whereas the other works sound colourfully Latin.

eschiss1

I think we used to have an upload of another recording of the symphony, and in any event I've heard an LP recording of it several times. I can confirm that. (European tradition, anyway, maybe specifically Germanic, I couldn't tell just by listening iirc...) Very tuneful and also passionate as I recall, I was glad to make its acquaintance.

eschiss1

This disc has now been reviewed on Musicweb, by the way.

Alan Howe

Pace Rob Barnett's review, I think the orchestra is first-class. I certainly can't hear any deficiency in the string department; on the contrary, I think they have a lovely, full sound - as befits the music. A really first-class disc in every way, beautifully recorded.

Do give Nepomuceno a try. The Symphony's extremely attractive in its lyrical fervour and packs quite a punch.