Joseph Marx Orchestral, vol. 2, from Naxos

Started by Sharkkb8, Saturday 26 January 2019, 09:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkkb8

FBerwald in a previous thread:  "Obviously, this is a re-release of the famous ASV series by Naxos, the interesting thing is the title Vol. 1"

So, this is vol. 2?  New?  Re-issue?  Amazon release date 8 Feb.  (don't think this has been mentioned before but apologies if I missed it)

https://www.amazon.com/Marx-Orchestral-Works-Vol-2/dp/B07LD8Q7FF/ref=sr_1_34?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1548492405&sr=1-34&refinements=p_n_date%3A1249114011

Gareth Vaughan

Exactly. This series is nothing to get excited about. Naxos will probably just issue the old ASV disks without adding any new recordings of his orchestral music, though it is good that these performances are being made available again.
Incidentally, the only major orchestral work by Marx of which, as far as I am aware, there has not been a commercial recording is the Nordic Rhapsody. It can be heard on YouTube, however.

adriano

I find it great that Naxos re-issue this interrupted Marx series! They are excellently conducted and have excellent sonics.
Incidentally, Naxos will also take over my second volume of Mario Pilati's complete orchestral works (on 2 CDs), which I recorded for the Italian label Inedita in 2007, after Naxos had rejected to continue with Pilati.

semloh

Oh, this is very welcome! Especially as I see that the ASV disc costs 26 Pounds on that Amazon link.  ???

Slight digression .... so does Naxos hold the rights to the complete ASV catalogue, in all genres?