Fritz Brun - Complete Orchestral Works on Brilliant Classics

Started by adriano, Sunday 27 January 2019, 11:53

Previous topic - Next topic

UnsungMasterpieces

That's very interesting news indeed! I'm really considering to order it when it's available.
I wonder if there are any other premiere recordings here, because these pieces were available on Guild earlier.

adriano

No, this is all the Guild and the Sterling program. Sterling was commissioned only for Symphony No. 3, all the remaining recordings were financed and commissioned to Guild. And bonus disc 11 (with the historical recordings) was originally a gift item (also issued by Guild) commissioned by the Zurich Central Library. All the masters have been financed and are owned by the Fritz Brun Estate. Without this full sponsorship neither Sterling nor Guild would have been in condition to produce this production.
Unfortunately all my (revised) introductory notes (in German and in English - some 60 pages each in total), the songtexts, the artist's biographies and additional photographic material will be availbale only as downloads (Brilliant's website).
This same material can already be found in the Brun chapter of my own website:
http://adrianomusic.com/styled-10/styled-13/index.html

Alan Howe

It'll be a fine bargain for those who haven't bought the individual releases of this remarkable composer's symphonies.

adriano

The Brun Box can already be ordered from jpc:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/fritz-brun-complete-orchestral-works/hnum/8968194

Nice price for 11 CDs!

I can also add that CDs of Symphonies 1 and 2 have been re-mixed upon my own suggestions. The balance of the first was totally overdriven and the strings of the second were unsufficiently present. You have no idea the many "surprises" I had to experience sometimes when the CDs came out and I had still the original master as a comparison!

M. Yaskovsky

TerraEpon

Gareth Vaughan

It is only that disk which is an historical recording. All the others are modern, and the material on disk 11 is found in modern sound elsewhere in the set.

adriano

@TerraEpon
You should be happy to have this historical Bonus CD 11, since it contains the only surviving sound document of Brun conducting a symphony orchestra!

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Monday 11 March 2019, 06:26
It is only that disk which is an historical recording. All the others are modern, and the material on disk 11 is found in modern sound elsewhere in the set.

Sure. It's still a disc in the set that I have no interest in. It's weird that people are so accepting of box sets which they only have partial interest in. In this case I know price is a factor but still....if I'm going to buy an album (be it one disc or twenty) I want to be able to enjoy all of it. If it's mono, it's not enjoyable. It's bad enough that the Sibelius Edition has the one it does (which I actually was kinda worried in the middle of them making the sets about and asked BIS if they'd be including anything and they said they wouldn't...) but at least that's a single track.

Quote from: hadrianus on Monday 11 March 2019, 10:10
@TerraEpon
You should be happy to have this historical Bonus CD 11, since it contains the only surviving sound document of Brun conducting a symphony orchestra!

Um....I fail to see why I'm supposed to care about that. Fine, it exists, great. But I don't have a desire to pay money to listen to it.

adriano

TerraEpon, sorry, but I don't understand you.
CD No. 11 is a (free/gift) bonus disc (and the only historical one of the whole set)! All remaining 10 CDs are digital recordings - also including the same two work of that historical disc in new digital re-recordings, so you can even compare their interpretations!
You can throw this extra CD away if it disturbs you so - and still enjoy Brun's complete orchestral works in digital stereo.
But, frankly, if you think like this, I won't even try to encourage you further to buy this really cheap box.
People affirming that mono is "not enjoyable" are, in my opinion, unfair music lovers; I call them sound fetishists. You are unfair to Toscanini, Furtwängler, Maria Callas, as well as to the early Schuricht, Karajan, Ansermet, Fischer-Dieskau and many others.
There are so many excellently recorded and mixed mono recordings of the 1950's which are better than some modern would-be-sophisticated stereo or digital mutlichannel products.

Mark Thomas

€3.45 each for 11 CDs, or €3.80 each for the 10 you want - it's still a ridiculously good bargain.