S.P. Waddington (1869-1953)

Started by Simon, Wednesday 30 January 2019, 15:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Sydney Peirce [sometimes Peine] Waddington (1869-1953)

I'm wondering if anybody can help with Waddington's chamber music. I have no clue about the location of his estate/manuscripts...

S.P. Waddington was a good friend of Vaughan Williams, who held him in high esteem. Counting among the first composition students of Charles Villiers Stanford at the Royal College of Music during the 1880's, Waddington's talent as a young composer inspired high hopes.

His Piano Concerto in G minor, said to be strongly influenced by the "modern German schools", but nevertheless showing "a vigorous hand and much real power", was performed in April 1889 by students of the Royal College of Music. In its critique, The Musical Times was among the most enthusiastic : "Excellent as to form and construction, the work is also marked by a certain freshness of manner, and the writing generally resembles that of an experienced musician rather than of one who is still a student. "

But it seems that his composition skills were eventually left aside for others duties (he was also an organist, conductor and teacher of harmony and counterpoint at the Royal College of Music).

Among others, Grove credits him with several chamber music works:
violin and cello sonatas, a string Trio and Quartet, a Quintet for wind and pianoforte, a Fantasy for pianoforte solo, a Suite for pianoforte duet... but I have found no trace of these. Any idea?

Thanks!

dmitterd

Hi Simon,

A few leads: his Nocturne for cello and piano appears in "Seven original compositions by various composers for violoncello with pianoforte accompaniment", edited by Cedric Sharpe, issued by Hawkes & Son c.1916. The ABRSM issued his Graceful Dance for violin and piano in Book 2 of "First violin : selected pieces from 60 years of violin examinations of the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music", c.1970.

There is also a Suite des pièces for piano, four hands (Augener, 189?)

These are all held in the Royal College of Music library. I hope this is some help!

cheers,
Daniel

Simon

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your answer. I'm actually looking for his more substantial works... Hopefully the sonatas and the Quintet!

dmitterd

Hi Simon,
No problem! You may also like to contact the British Music Society - http://www.britishmusicsociety.com - they may be able to help further.

cheers,
Daniel