Alexander Goedicke's Third Symphony in C minor

Started by Ilja, Friday 01 February 2019, 09:15

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Fleisher also doesn't loan (or I assume scan) to anyone but performing ensembles and institutions,I believe. (Items in their general, not  Fleisher or chamber collection as labeled in their online catalog, distribute somewhat more widely.)

adriano

Thanks, eschiss1

So you see how it is - also referring to earlier postings concerning the availability of Fritz Brun's scores...

Justin

@hadrianus

My recording is still about 20-30 seconds faster, but the tone sounds practically the same. The only difference I can tell now is that mine has virtually no background hiss, and just pops and crackles (especially at the beginning of the second movement).

Alan Howe

So, are we talking about different versions of the same recording?

Justin

Yes, Alan. And based on Adriano's comments, it looks like the original upload by Ilja is too slow.

Alan Howe

adriano

This can be easily explained: these "LP-to-audio-file-transfers" were done by two different people with two different equipments. This happens more than often, when private LP transfers are done with amateur equipments. At first there is a turntable playing at a speed which is not always correctly at 33 1/3 rpm - then comes a tape recorder which also has an unexact or irregular speed etc. Today, of course, one can transfer from a turntable directly to a hard disc recorder. In my case, my turntable output is already transmitting a digital signal and not a chinch-like analog one.
In other words, these Goedicke uploads are certainly not Melodiya studio remasterings, but private ones. The proof is that the person who have done were unable to do a professional filtering, eliminating mechanical faults (scratches, crackles etc).
But original Melodiya LPs too were not always perfect during the Mono years. One can find speed fluctuations. We are still far away from today's techniques!
In the past have transferred a lot of 78s and mono LPs - and have also remastered some Toscanini acetates for a Swiss label with historical recordings; not to speak about my important Respighi and Khachaturian 78rpm (and LP) archives - which I have donated to the Bologna Music Museum (At home I have only CDR transfers). I never filtered/altered those recording's original sound, I only "cleaned" them and, in the case of 78's, joined interrupted movements together, due to side breaks. I have also transferred the complete Medtner Society 78s from my collection long before Melodiya had started doing it (5 CDRs). I donated these 78's to the Zurich Central Library. Incidentally, all Russian pianists and musicologists still don't like these Medtner recordings; a typical reaction at an emigrated artist...

Alan Howe

Thanks, Adriano. So which version of the Goedicke is the more trustworthy?

adriano

Alan Howe

adriano

I've just found this:

https://mp3-muzyka.net/mp3songs/goedicke.html

On this list there is a quite satisfactory - and clean - upload of Goedicke's Third Symphony!
You can download an MP3. It does not always work, so I am going to play and record it on my hard disc.

And then let me check it first.
(It's a "Rufinatscha" upload, so one can never know where he got it from).

Check also all the other Goedicke works on this list!

Gareth Vaughan

I can't access it via the link. Their security is blocking me.

adriano

I've downloaded it with my recorderand checked it. But I am not satisfied. Comparing the (presumed) final C minor chord with the chord of this version, it's in a lower speed too. And the overall filtering is too extreme; everything sounds too muddy. I prefer continue working on Zusac's download, which sounds very present. But I await from him the original download version of the second movement - which he had already tried to filter - but it sounds too different from the rest. I prefer working on an homogenous file.
Who know, perhaps the old CCCP LP was already mastered a half tone lower...

adriano

http://www.mediafire.com/file/l7x4pz94v8h4ghj/GOEDICKE+-+Symph.+No.3+-+New+transfer+%28Adriano%29.zip

This is now "my" new transfer version of this old Melodiya recording. Please note that in oder not to destroy all frequencies I still have left over some "tape noise". At the movement's beginnings and at ends there are fade-ins/outs - contrarily to my principles that in-bretween movements the ground noise should continue going on - if it is an old recording. The disurbancies at the beginning of the 2nd movement could be eliminated by hand only, not by a filter. I did not alter the overall pitch. The final chord is in C minor - even though not totally 100%. This must have been an original Melodiya feature, so let's respect it :-)

I hope you can fully enjoy this splendid work and splendid performance now!

Alan Howe

Thanks, Adriano. I have also posted these details in the Downloads Board.