NÁPRAVNÍK - Mazurka for Orchestra

Started by semloh, Thursday 14 February 2019, 04:27

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Christopher, thank you for uploading this little bon-bon! I've yet to hear a piece by Napravnik that I didn't enjoy, and suspect I never will!  ;)

Christopher

Ilja

Has there been any recording of any of his four symphonies, by any chance? I've been looking for them for a while, but no trace sofar.

Alan Howe

Nope. None is listed in Mike Herman's discography over at MusicWeb.

eschiss1

Symphony 3 -is- available freely in full score and parts (and sold, as miniature score, by MP(Höflich), besides, and rented by Boosey, and...) but I know of no recordings- thought I'd heard of a radio one but...

No idea where the score, parts, etc for symphonies 1, 2 or 4 are... not in (published) print, according to MPH, but that doesn't answer the question otherwise.

OTOH his opera Dubrovsky is @ YouTube.

Christopher

There was mention on here 4 or 5 years ago (unless it was on AMF) of a plan to record the 4 symphonies.  But nothing further was mentioned.

There's actually several recordings of Dubrovsky knocking about.

khorovod

There are (or were) some performances of chamber music on Youtube too, not from CD recordings but from a music festival, IIRC.

Alan Howe

I can only find one recording of Dubrovsky - Nebolsin's from 1955.

eschiss1

Worldcat also lists a reading of the first two acts of the opera on cassette from a festival, which aside from many recordings of individual arias may be all there is besides the Nebolsin , don't know...

eschiss1

Re his chamber music: well, some of it, anyway, HAS been recorded...

MDG: Nápravník complete piano trios (Spyros trio), 2017.

khorovod

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 17 February 2019, 02:05
Re his chamber music: well, some of it, anyway, HAS been recorded...

MDG: Nápravník complete piano trios (Spyros trio), 2017.

Yes, indeed. I read the Musicweb review. I merely intended to indicate that the performances/pieces on YouTube were not those easily available on the MDG disc. From a quick check (I wasn't able to yesterday) today, there is still a violin sonata from the festival. I thought there were some other pieces too but...

As far as I know there has only ever been one complete Dubrovsky, the one which Alan refers to. I listened to it on Youtube some time ago and wasn't very impressed.  There seems to be a version with subtitles now so perhaps I should give it another go.

Christopher

There are also recordings of individual arias from his operas "Harold"  (about the Anglo-Saxon king of 1066 fame) and "The Nizhny-Novgorodians". They are on CD's dedicated to individual Russian soloists.  I would have to go through my CD collection to check which, if anyone is interested.

I wish I could remember the other recordings of Dubrovsky which I have seen.  They were in Moscow, and I remember noting that they WEREN'T Nebolsin, as that's the one I have also.

Christopher

I just found this album - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077Y5JPGT/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp which has Napravnik's "Mélancolie", No.3 from his 4 Piano Pieces, Op. 48 - arranged for orchestra. I can't find if the arrangement was by Napravnik himself or someone else.

Christopher

Eric/Eschiss - in this thread - http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,2789.msg52182.html#msg52182 - you said "I seem to recall that Napravnik's 3rd symphony and some of his chamber music may have been recorded by Cesky Rozhlas, but commercial release is another matter"  (21 Feb 2014) - did you ever hear anything more about this?

eschiss1

I searched the Czech radio archive and couldn't seem to find more than some miniatures, arias from operas... nothing substantial iirc.