NÁPRAVNÍK - Mazurka for Orchestra

Started by semloh, Thursday 14 February 2019, 04:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Apparently there's a Napravnik festival - http://www.napravnikfestival.cz/aktuality_en.html

ABOUT THE FESTIVAL

Dear ladies and gentlemen,

the aim of the festival is to acquaint the general public with music of Czech composer and conductor, whose influence on Russian and Czech music culture is crucial. About Nápravník is known that, he was an excellent conductor of world-class, but of his compositions we know very little ... Nápravník rightly occupies an important place of honor in the history of Russian musical culture. The Czech Republic native came in his twenty-three years to Russia, which for him - like many of his countrymen at the time - became his second home. Fully dedicated and selfless service for Russian music, especially the Russian Opera House where he spent more than fifty years of his life. Without broke ties with his native Czech culture led deeply understand the interests of Russian musical art and became one of its leading representatives. It builds cordial, friendly relations with Tchaikovsky, Glinka excellent sister - his successor of - Shestakova, with Melnikov, with Stravinsky, with Dejsha - Sionicka, F. Shaliapin and other outstanding Russian artists and musicians. As a talented, energetic and fully devoted to his mission artists Nápravník was highly valued by Balakirev, Rimsky - Korsakov, Mussorgsky, Borodin, Rubinstein, Glazunov. The works of these and other artists Nápravník as conductor interpreted with great mastery and fine artistic tact. Sincere admirers of perfect conductor art Nápravník were also many outstanding representatives of Russian literature, painting and theater and a wide circle of listeners from different social classes.

MgA. Vjačeslav Grochovskij jr., Ph.D.
Director general of the festival

MgA. Felix Slováček jr.
Artistic Director and Producer of the Festival

Alan Howe

I'm afraid that, so far, I'm inclined to agree with David Barker over at MusicWeb, who in reviewing the piano trios on MDG says:

<<Sometimes one finds an unsung composer whose obscurity is undeserved; sadly, that isn't so here.>>

semloh

That surprises me... I must try and have a listen. My expectation of never hearing a piece by him that I didn't enjoy might be under threat!  ::)

Well, I've just listened to the two piano trios, Opp.24 & 62 on YT, and although somewhat curate's eggs, enjoyed them both. They certainly aren't masterpieces, but once I got accustomed to his rather blunt and forceful style, I felt they would bear more careful listening. A bit rough and ready maybe, but best left to gather dust? Not for me.

Alan Howe

I must have another listen, but my hopes aren't high...

Mark Thomas

I found the music attractive enough, but not at all memorable. The same goes for the opera, Dubrovsky.

eschiss1

I -would- like to hear his string quartets. Have you considered them, matesic? :) :)

JimL

I, for one, find his piano concerto a very memorable and joyous romp, and would like to hear his concertante suite for violin.

semloh

Jim, do you mean his Concerto Symphonique in A minor, Op.27?

JimL

JimL

Semloh, the 1st of those trios beat out Rimsky-Korsakov's piano and wind quintet in competition (although the blame may belong more to Gustav Kross than the credit does to Napravnik. Napravnik had the advantage of Theodor Leschetizky.)

semloh

Hmm.. does sound like a dubious decision, Jim.

JimL

The performers weren't able to get through the quintet, so bad was Kross as a sight-reader. To be fair, the Napravnik trio is an agreeable piece.

redieze

dubrovsky is available as a russian live from 1960 on Aquarius AQVR 366-2 (found at Norbert,Peters & Ford,online shop devoted to opera and archive recordings)

redieze

at least the piano version of 2 mazuirkas have been recorded by J.Plowright for Hyperion cd "hommage à Chopin"