Carl Filtsch (1830-1845)

Started by redieze, Thursday 21 March 2019, 19:11

Previous topic - Next topic

redieze

Unfortunately for him: Austrian Carl Filtsch (1830-45 !!), a pupil of Wieck and Chopin (a precocious one, indeed) wrote an overture and a short piano concerto (see CD-Accord ACD 177-2 released in 2010 "Chopin's pupils,with Thomas Tellefsen piano cto op.8)

eschiss1

from what you say, didn't accomplish -quite- as much as Heikki Suolahti, but Suolahti had a whole year more (1920-1936) in which to write a (very fine) symphony (which I've heard live, I think, and on broadcast tape), a (unrecorded, I think) violin concerto (1936), piano concerto (1935) , 3 other orchestral works... still, will look into Mr Filtsch!

Alan Howe

Here's the CD/download:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8024124--chopins-pupils

You'll note that I've changed the thread title: it's much more helpful when it actually tells members what the thread is about.

Alan Howe

I have just received my copy of the CD - which, by the way, is supremely well performed and recorded. Hardly surprisingly, Filtsch's music doesn't sound very individual, but I have to say that the 15½ minute-long Konzertstück is a rather lovely and well-crafted piece, reminiscent of Chopin, but easily sustaining its length. It would make an excellent candidate for inclusion in Hyperion's RPC series; I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Once again, it really does help when neglected music is superbly performed. Kudos to all concerned.