Alfred Cellier 1844-1892

Started by giles.enders, Monday 11 March 2019, 12:24

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

I see that Naxos have recently released a recording Alfred Cellier's  operetta, Dorothy, conducted by Richard Bonynge. Has anyone had a chance to listen to it ?

Mark Thomas

I have it, Giles, but I haven't listened to it yet. I'll try not to keep you waiting too long - probably Wednesday. Unless someone else beats me too it, of course!

Jimfin

I've had it since it was released in January. It's a fine recording, but I have to say I don't find it as strong a work as The Mountebanks, which was released last year. If you are hoping for a second Mikado, I think you'll be disappointed. It has more resemblances to musical comedy. The music is gentle and pastoral and pleasant, but I fail to see how on earth it ran for over 900 performances. I've listened again and again to Mountebanks, but far less to Dorothy, though enough times to confirm this impression.

So saying: it's Naxos and only one disc, so not a huge price for a rare chance to hear what other composers were doing when Gilbert and Sullivan were dominating the stage.

Jimfin

And if you haven't got The Mountebanks, I strongly recommend it. It's as good as the Savoy Operas in my view.

Mark Thomas

Yes, Jimfin is right, Dorothy is not a patch on The Mountebanks. The performance standards are very high, the recording is excellent, but the piece itself is thin fare. The melodies are pretty enough, though I doubt any will lodge in the memory, but it's one of the most rhythmically monotonous scores I can remember, and dramatically it's all on a level. The text doesn't have the wit of Gilbert, and the music lacks the charm and verve of Sullivan. In short, it's best forgotten.