The Golden Age of Danish Opera

Started by BerlinExpat, Tuesday 12 March 2019, 11:54

Previous topic - Next topic

BerlinExpat

The Golden Age of Danish Opera

Such is the title of an exhibition in the foyer of the Musikhuset in Aarhus where August Enna's Kleopatra was recently given. It was the first in a series of Danish operas that will follow in coming seasons. The next will be Paul von Klenau's Michael Kohlhaas which will be premiered on 21st August 2019 with further performances on 22nd and 24th August 2019. It will be a Scandinavian premiere.

Kleopatra will tour Denmark until 12th April and somewhere along the line the opera is to be recorded for release on Dacapo.
The overture on CPO gives a good impression of how the whole opera sounds and on youTube there is an aria from an open air concert with Tanja Christine Kuhn and Aarhus Symphony Orchestra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfK1po5Uodw

The composer posters in the exhibition include:
Hakon Børresen
August Enna
Asgar Hamerik
Ebbe Hamerik
Emil Hartmann
Gustav Helsted
C F E Hornemann
Paul August von Klenau
P E Lange-Müller
Ludolf Nielsen
Paul Schierbeck
Hilda Sehested

I have photographed the posters. The texts are in Danish and English and I can post the posters here or forward them to interested parties.

M. Yaskovsky

Would you be so kind to post them here, if allowed? I'm very much interested.

Alan Howe

I trust the singing will be better than the horridly squally Ms Kuhn...

BerlinExpat

For those who requested them and anyone else who may be interested, copies my photographs of the posters at the Aarhus Musikhuset dealing with 'The Golden Age of Danish Opera' can be perused here:

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/sl9wa79g2avjt/The_Golden_Age_of_Danish_Opera

M. Yaskovsky

Droosbury

Many thanks for posting those. Is there any indication about exactly which operas are to be the focus of the series. It seems a little vague from what I've seen online. In particular, would love to hear the Klenau and L Nielsen works, for example, and already know Schierbeck's Fete Galante and Børresen's The Royal Guest.

BerlinExpat

Other than Michael Kohlhaas I don't know.