Fibich Vol.5 from Naxos

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 08 May 2020, 16:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Joachim Raff

I do not think you will be disappointed. I will be interested in what the professional reviewers think of it.

Mark Thomas

Judging by the sound bites, the symphony is certainly superior to my old Suraphon recording (Brno State Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Jiri Belohlavek), so I shall definitely get this new recording. What a fine symphony it is too!

dhibbard

Same here, Kevin.  However,  I may start comparing it to my Chandos copies to see how they compare.   I did buy a subscription to the Naxos Library last year.

Kevin

Mr Raff has it spot on. This will be my new reference recording for the 3rd symphony, it's that great. There's a huge gulf between  the Janacek phil and Czech national symphony in quality, it's night and day. Such a shame the other four volumes didn't have the Janacek phil.

Alan Howe

It seems significant that Vassily Sinaisky has been appointed chief conductor of the JPO - quite a coup!

BerlinExpat

From the Naxos newsletter referring to the new CD of the 3rd symphony:

Marek Štilec concludes Zdeněk Fibich's complete orchestral works.

Alan Howe

Sorry, I don't understand the reference here...

The point I was making was that the orchestra must be 'on the rise' if a leading conductor such as Sinaisky has been appointed chief conductor.

BerlinExpat

If I remember correctly eight volumes were originally planned by Naxos.

Alan Howe

sdtom

I was not disappointed in the least in the recording. It is a fine symphony they handled quite well especially the third movement