Moszkowski's Overture in D major (1871-72)

Started by tpaloj, Wednesday 15 May 2019, 18:46

Previous topic - Next topic

tpaloj

Hello all,

I wanted to share a NotePerformer performance of Moszkowski's unpublished D major Overture. This is one of the four works whose manuscripts were discovered in BNF around 2011. The other three works were of course his magnificent Piano Concerto Op.3, the still-criminally-unrecorded Symphony in D minor, and an unfinished Piano Quintet.

A few details... 50 manuscript pages, 395 measures. About 11 minutes with its only tempo designation 'Allegro risoluto'.
Instrumentation: 2,2,2,2 - 2,2,3,0 timp, str.
I find it hard to tell if this has ever been performed - there are rehearsal letters in the MS but a plethora of errors and mistakes. Very very few marked corrections of missing accidentals etc. I would assume they'd be a little more thorough in correcting errors that came up in rehearsals into the score if there indeed was a performance.

The main thematic material in this Overture closely resembles that of some motives in the 1st movement of his Symphony, which he would go to write about a year later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cANwcfbtHc

Alan Howe

Thanks for doing all the work in producing this rendering of a most enjoyable, indeed fine work.