Arrangements by Georgii Cherkin

Started by Christopher, Tuesday 21 May 2019, 12:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 16 May 2019, 23:37
The PC (by Wars) is 9½ minutes of pure fake Addinsell-Rachmaninov. Glorious!

So I thought I would have a little listen to this on youtube to see if I liked it.  And I did, so will probably buy the CD.

A suggested track to listen to on that youtube page caught my eye, and I couldn't resist listening to it....and I love it!  I know Alan you might choke on your cornflakes, but... - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSsDt6Z5mFY - 3 minutes long - "Darth Vader's Theme for Piano and Orchestra. Original arrangement of the Imperial March from Star Wars. This is the first ever version for Piano and Orchestra of the famous theme by John Williams, arranged by Georgii Cherkin. Here is the World Premiere of this version, which sounds like a mini Piano Concerto by Rachmaninoff, based on the famous Darth Vader theme from Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back."

It is indeed somewhat Rachmaninovian!  It must have been suggested because of the word "Wars" and the Rachmaninovian piano commonality.

Alan Howe

Christopher

Williamsaninoff?  Anyway yes it is - though the piano part is more distinct.  I like it anyway.  I read about the arranger, Georgii Cherkin - who is actually the young pianist in the video.  Seems he is quite the arranger, good on him!  :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgii_Cherkin - Bulgarian, born 1977, "Since young age Georgi Cherkin has also been composing & orchestrating music for symphonic orchestra. He has made numerous orchestrations of famous piano pieces, arranged for piano & orchestra, including Für Elise by Beethoven, The Moonlight Piano Sonata No. 14 (Beethoven), The Seasons (Tchaikovsky), The Turkish March from Piano Sonata No. 11 (Mozart)" - it's good to see young (youngish?!) enthusiasm actually being realised, I wonder if he will run with it and develop into a serious composer.

Alan Howe

Of course, his arrangements aren't of unsung music...

Alan Howe

...and his version of Für Elise inflates that hackneyed piece into something treacly - and frankly repulsive.