News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Moniuszko - Paria

Started by Ebubu, Tuesday 21 May 2019, 22:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebubu

A rare opera by Moniuszko, "Il Paria", has been recorded during the last Moniuszko Festival in Warsaw and Poznan. 

Alan Howe

The opera has been recorded before - on Dux - but appears no longer to be available.

Christopher

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 21 May 2019, 22:31
The opera has been recorded before - on Dux - but appears no longer to be available.

Any details on this?  Label, performers, etc?

(Can I make a suggestions that people try to include these details if they know them, when making posts like this?)

M. Yaskovsky

Alan Howe

QuoteAny details on this?  Label, performers, etc?

(Can I make a suggestions that people try to include these details if they know them, when making posts like this?)

Well, Christopher, I did say on Dux; as for the performers, well, I hadn't heard of any of them, so I'm afraid I didn't mention them. As the previous post demonstrates, a simple search of, say, 'Paria Dux' at Amazon turns up all the details you need to know...

Alan Howe

Christopher

Thanks for this Alan - my message referred to Ebubu's kind announcement which, to me anyway, seemed to be about a recent recording, to which you replied about a previous Dux recording (that, yes, I was able to identify).  Or have a got that wrong and both posts refer to Dux?

Alan Howe

I imagine Ebubu's post is about a new recording. Obviously the confusion arose because it wasn't clear whose post
was being referred to.

A simple Google search turns this up from April this year:

Stanisław Moniuszko Paria - opera in three acts with prologue

Iwona Sobotka - soprano (Neala), Robert Jezierski - bass (Akebar), Yuri Gorodetski - tenor (Idamor), Tomasz Warmijak - tenor (Ratef), Szymon Komasa - baritone (Dżares), National Philharmonic Choir, Poznan Philharmonic Orchestra, cond. Łukasz Borowicz

23rd Ludwig van Beethoven Easter Festival - broadcast from the National Philharmonic in Warsaw

https://www.polskieradio.pl/8/688/Artykul/2292033,23-Wielkanocny-Festiwal-Ludwiga-van-Beethovena-Paria-w-wersji-koncertowej

So maybe this is the performance Ebubu meant?

DK

This was also broadcast on Deutschlandfunkkultur
https://www.deutschlandfunkkultur.de/stanislaw-moniuszkos-200-geburtstag-so-gut-wie-verdi.1091.de.html?dram:article_id=447852
but I have been travelling and so I missed this broadcast.  Did anyone happen to record it?

Alan Howe

Ah, now that's about a performance in Italian.

The cast under Borowicz is different from that listed above in one instance (in red):

Katarzyna Hołysz, soprano
Robert Jezierski, bass
Jury Horodecki, tenor   (=Yuri Gorodetski)
Szymon Komasa, baritone
Tomasz Warmijak, tenor
Warsaw National Phiharmonic Choir/Bartosz Michałowski
Poznań Philharmonic Orchestra
c. Łukasz Borowicz

Moniuszko apparently made two versions of his opera - one in Polish, one in Italian. It appears that the one given in April was the latter. Maybe for some reason there was a cast change.

Ebubu

Yes, it seems to have been performed twice : once in Poznan (where it was recorded for the radio -- recording I was talking about), and another concert in Warsaw (I have no idea whether that one was recorded as well).
I got the recording, but I have to find a way to put it online soon.

Alan Howe

Thanks, Ebubu.

Here are the details of the performance given in Poznan, kindly supplied by Ebubu:

Adam Mickiewicz University Poznań: Hall
Recording made 12.04.2019

On the occasion of the 200th anniversary of the birth of Stanisław Moniuszko

Stanisław Moniuszko
Paria, Opera in three acts
Concert performance in Italian

Katarzyna Hołysz, soprano
Robert Jezierski, bass
Jury Horodecki, tenor
Szymon Komasa, baritone
Tomasz Warmijak, tenor

Warsaw National Philharmonic Chorus
c. Bartosz Michałowski

Poznań Philharmonic Orchestra
c. Łukasz Borowicz

Christopher

Many thanks to all above for all this information!

DK

I've just learned that a performance (in Polish) from Poznan will be streamed on OperaVision on 30 June 2019 at 18:00 CET, and presumably available to view on demand for a few months thereafter.  I don't know if this was pre-recorded; most of the OperaVision videostreams are initially live, and then on demand.  In any case, I've very much looking forward to this!
https://operavision.eu/en/library/performances/operas/paria-poznan-opera-house

Alan Howe

Just to confuse matters, this is a quite different performance - this time, from Poznań Opera House, with a different cast, sung in Polish:

Neala   Monika Mych-Nowicka
Ratef   Pavlo Tolstoy
Akebar   Szymon Kobyliński
Dżares   Mikołaj Zalasiński
Conductor   Gabriel Chmura