News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Shtcherbatchev

Started by giles.enders, Friday 08 October 2010, 12:01

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Apart from several ways of spelling the above name, does anyone know anything about the quality of the Sctcherbatchev brothers music?  There are two brothers ?  Nikolai 1853- ? and Andrey 1869-1916 also a son? Vladimir 1989-1952.  I like most Russian music from this period so am always hoping for more.

Hovite

I've never heard a note of any of them, but there is some information on Vladimir here:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/ovar/shcherba.htm

It looks as though his only recorded work is his 5th Symphony.

Amphissa

This guy is unsung because no one could spell or pronounce his name even in his own country!  :o

Delicious Manager

One can find more by using a better transliteration than the apparent mongrel 'Sctcherbatchev' (goodness knows where THAT originates - it's not German, French, English or anything else I can fathom) and by trying other variants: Shcherbachev, Shcherbachov, Schtscherbatschew, Chtcherbatchev, etc, etc. Grove Online (under 'Shcherbachov') gives details of Vladimir Vladimirovich Shcherbachov (1889-1952), Nikolai Vladimirovich Shcherbachov (1853-1922)(uncle of Vladimir Vladimirovich) and Andrei Vladimrovich Shcherbachov (1868-1916)(second cousin of Vladimir Vladimirovich).

giles.enders

Thanks to all who have taken the trouble to sort out the spelling and relationships for me.  Now all that is required is to hear some of the music!

febnyc

I have a CD from Northern Flowers - the second in their "Wartime Music" series - which features the Symphony No.5 and an orchestral suite - composer listed as Vladimir Scherbachov.  I assume this is the aforementioned son.  Anyway, the music - especially the Symphony - is quite good:  very powerful, echt-Soviet era orchestral sounds.  Recommended highly.

giles.enders

Delicious Manager enquired where I got the spelling from.  It is in 'Everyman's Dictionary of Music' compiled by Eric Blom.  1946.  If one wants to find obscure composers, it is full of them.