Stanford’s The Travelling Companion to be released on 27th September 2019

Started by Kevin, Monday 27 May 2019, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Well, yes, but he also wrote:

Quotethe NSO's amateur chorus struggled at times, and a plucky small orchestra under Toby Purser's sensitive baton could hardly do full justice to Stanford's romanticism

I'm sorry, but recordings need to do Stanford's romanticism full justice.

Mark Thomas

Cost will be the reason, of course. I see that the recent performances of Stanford's Much Ado about Nothing in Leeds also had a "specially-prepared reduced orchestral score". And Stanford such a terrific orchestrator too. What a pity. Well, I am still looking forward to hearing The Travelling Companion, but am prepared to experience only "modified rapture".

Kevin

Interestingly, it seems it was Rupert Christiansen who was indirectly responsible for this performance/recording. According to the latest issue of Gramophone he did an article about unsung English operas which the director of the NSO saw: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/opera/11077505/Why-cant-we-hear-more-English-operas.html

Also, according to the Stanford Society the performance of The Veiled Prophet of Khorassan, at the Wexford Opera Festival, will be recorded and released on CD http://www.thestanfordsociety.org/2019/05/22/the-veiled-prophet-of-khorassan-at-the-wexford-opera-festival-2019/

It seems to be a very good time to be a Stanford fan.

Alan Howe

Good news, although Wexford is often a problematic recording venue. Still, beggars and all that...

Mark Thomas

chriskh

17 strings? A performance of Parsifal or Meistersinger with 17 strings might leave us wondering (if it was the only performance we could hope to hear) whether Wagner's ability as a composer was equal to his ambition

eschiss1

giles.enders

Has anyone heard the full recording and if they have, what is their opinion?

Mark Thomas

Kevin

QuoteI shall wait a few months until it's available as a download.

Months? Do you perhaps know how long it will take? because I've emailed presto twice and got no reply. Seems strange to me in this day and age there's not a digital option at release day, unless I'm missing something?

Mark Thomas

No, I have no inside information, but recently SOMM CD releases have been followed a couple of months or so later by a digital release, so I assumed that this one would be the same. I think that some companies choose to stagger the release dates to give people an incentive to buy the CD and, although I usually buy downloads muself, I can't say I blame them given the speed with which commercial digital releases are pirated and uploaded to YouTube these days.

Kevin

Oh well. I've emailed SOMM and lets see if they bother to reply. I still find it baffling... an obscure work is going to be heavily pirated but anyway what do I know.

Kevin

Just got a response from SOMM...
QuoteWe usually have to wait about a fortnight until Naxos USA makes the SOMM releases digitally available for download etc.

Mark Thomas

Mark Thomas