Hermann Graedener Violin Concertos 1 & 2

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 01 June 2019, 12:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Members are welcome to start another thread (or two) on these other topics; please let's stick to Graedener's VCs here.

brendangcarroll

I am really looking forward to this release. Graedener briefly taught Korngold after Zemlinsky left Vienna for Prague. Apparently, when Zemlinsky hard that Graedener had been teaching his former pupil he sent the precocious young Korngold a postcard saying: "I hear you are studying with Graedener now. Is he making any progress?" Such a perfect example of Viennese wit.

Alan Howe

VC1 is very much 'son of Brahms', but none the worse for that. Toskey describes it as 'more passionate' than Brahms' VC, which is about right. It's an extremely beautiful work which should be played and enjoyed today. Kudos to all involved.

Alan Howe

...and VC2 is rather more of the same - in an ever-so-slightly more advanced idiom. Toskey is quite right in stating that the work is less chromatic than Reger. So, if VC1 is Brahms+, VC2 is Brahms++. Lovely music, though, but not really very original or individual, if that matters to you. It doesn't to me.

brendangcarroll

I just wish to draw your attention to the splendid new recording of  the two violin concerti by the lamentably forgotten Hermann Grädener (1844–1929) released at the end of 2019 by the enterprising label Toccata and which I received in my Christmas stocking! It does not appear to have been noted anywhere on this forum.

What lovely music!! A sort of cross between Brahms and Sibelius but with a very distinct stamp and a gorgeous melodic gift.

Well worth exploring. Fine performances and splendid booklet notes.

https://toccataclassics.com/product/hermann-gradener-orchestral-music-volume-one/

Alan Howe

I've merged the last post with the existing thread on this topic.

QuoteIt does not appear to have been noted anywhere on this forum

Brendan: if you look at earlier posts in this original thread, you'll find that you actually made a contribution back in October!

Just a gentle reminder: it would save the moderators extra work if members checked first whether a particular topic was already being discussed. Thanks! (In this particular case, of course, the problem lies in the spelling of the composer's surname - Graedener or Grädener.)

Alan Howe

...by the way: can't hear any Sibelius at all here. Probably my cloth ears, but...

brendangcarroll

Dear Alan

Before I posted, I put Hermann Grädener into the SEARCH box for "ALL" and  for "RECORDINGS" and none of this thread appeared, otherwise I would not have posted . I wonder why it did not show up? Sorry for the duplication.

eschiss1

Because the title is Graedener, not Grädener, and the search function hasn't been coded to figure things like that out (there are searches that I've used that are savvy about such things, actually...)

brendangcarroll

Alan Howe

semloh

Well, I think both concertos are very beautiful - which is enough for me!  ;)

Jonathan

I've been listening to these via a streaming service recently and I thoroughly enjoy both works!