News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

J.G. de Ranken

Started by Mark Thomas, Tuesday 18 June 2019, 18:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Does anybody have any information at all about the composer J.G. de Ranken? He appears to have been a writer of polkas (Assemblée Polka, Louisen Polka), marches (Reisemarsch) and other such light pieces, which were published in the 1840s and 50s in Germany and Denmark. Beyond that I know nothing of him, and anything more would be most welcome.

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Not a great leap forward in the information stakes, I must admit...

Mark Thomas

I find it really surprising that a composer whose opus numbers supposedly reached 235 (his Kathinka-Polka) should have left hardly any trace at all. Just a handful of mentions in Hofmeister and a couple of scores in libraries. That's it.

Alan Howe

Perhaps they're all occasional/light pieces that were once fashionable and have since sunk without trace.

Might any of the scores contain any details by way of a preface?

Mark Thomas

I've seen a couple of his scores, but they tell you nothing abut him. I'm sure you're correct, Ranken was a composer of no consequence even in his own day, but he is of peripheral interest because of some Raff research I'm doing - a first name or names (Johann Georg, perhaps?) and dates would be useful. De Ranken seems to be a Dutch surname, but today I came across a reference in a Danish journal of the 1840s to "Capellmeister de Ranken aus Wien", so who knows?

Wheesht

Not an easy name to research... Not all library catalogues and digitised newspapers are clear on how one best enters surnames with 'de' in front.

The 'Grazer Zeitung' of 7 and 8 February 1850 mentions a performance of a pantomime with dialogue in two acts, translated from the French "Der Orangutang", music arranged by "Cappellmeister J. G. de Ranken" – so he may indeed have been based in Austria. There is one other reference I have found, to the Louisen-Polka that has been mentioned: The "Signale für die musikalische Welt", issue 32, 1847 has the name as "Ranken, F. W. von" and in issue 29, 1852 there is this entry: Ranken, J.W., "Mad. Sontag Triomphe. March-Galopp p. Piano."
Digitised newspapers are a tremendous source of course, but they do not always help much...

Mark Thomas

Thanks very much. Greatly appreciated. We home in on Austria then, maybe.