Schönberg’s Verklärte Nacht: orchestral version?

Started by ewk, Thursday 20 June 2019, 17:28

Previous topic - Next topic

ewk

Dear all,

I recently witnessed a performance of Schönberg's »Verklärte Nacht« (a pice I love a lot) in the String orchestra version. It might have been the effect of the concert hall's acoustic, but I must admit that I did miss the clarity of the original string sextet version.

That being said, I started to wonder whether there was ever an attempt to transcribe the piece to full orchestra? It would, for some, surely be sacrilegeous. However, I could imagine many passages very well in an orchestral sound.  The using of different winds etc. could also add to the clarity I missed in the string orchestra version for some passages.
Does anyone know of an orchestration or is of the opinion, as me, that it could sound fascinating? (Of course, copyright issues might have prevented such projects and will continue to do so until 2022, at least in life+70 countries).

Best wishes, ewk

adriano

The string orchestra version of "Verklärte Nacht" is magnificent, just listen to the Karajan version of 1974, which is unsurpassable.
This "amplified" version has been done by Schoenberg himself in 1943 by revising some sections. The sextet version was written in 1899.
In his "new" score, Schoenberg placed numerous precise indications (with symbols) on which voices have to be principal, which ones secondary etc, giving (good players/conductors) enough opportunites of producing "colours". Besides this, the composer has also many effective passages for soli.
A good string ensemble can be more than clear, just listen to some good recordings of Tchaikovsky's or Dvorák's "Serenades".
What more than that do we want??

Alan Howe

I've been content with Karajan's recording for as long as I can remember.

matesic

Schönberg could dish it out (e.g. Brahms's G minor piano quartet, which certainly doesn't need elaboration) but can his music take it? It's an interesting idea but as EWK says he has a peculiar air of sanctity about him. One might also adapt the late G major suite for string orchestra which is full of good tunes!