Per August Ölander: Blenda (opera)

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 04 April 2019, 22:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Has anyone else invested in this recording? I must say that I found it a really enjoyable opera, given a committed and convincing performance. This is, I believe, Ölander's only opera, which is a shame. He's a first-rate melodist, knows how to create a variety of moods, there's plenty of contrast between high drama and intimate scenes, his orchestration is effective, if a tad mid-19th century conventional, and the vocal lines sound as if they are very grateful to sing. I was reminded of Meyerbeer's grand operas, although Ölander's choruses lack their cumulative punch. Enthusiastically recommended.

Ölander was yet another Swedish amateur, he composed very little and hardly anything else is recorded: I've known and enjoyed his sole Symphony for quite a few years, but have only just discovered on YouTube a radio broadcast of his String Sextet, which is a delightful little piece.

Alan Howe

Yes, I bought this too. My reactions were much as yours, if somewhat less enthusiastic. Nevertheless, a worthwhile and surprising encounter.