Festival Sinfonico & Romantico Mantova (Mantua)

Started by alberto, Monday 22 July 2019, 10:27

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

Under the above title, two unusual concerts will take place (each repeated twice) in the small town of Mantova.

9-10 November 2019
Franz Schmidt Symphony n.1
F.X. Scharwenka Piano Concerto n.2
Gernsheim Symhony n.3

25.26 January 2020
Reznicek Symphony n.4
Reinecke Symphony n.2
Zemlinsky Symphony n.1

Pianist, conductor and orchestra are only names for me.

Alan Howe

Details of the conductor, Marco Beretta, here:
https://www.marcoberetta.com/bio
...and of the 150rchestra Sinfonica di Piacenza here:
https://www.150rchestra.com/about

I assume that 'Mantova' is the town we know as 'Mantua' in northern Italy...

Mark Thomas

What an enterprising programme. I hope they're rewarded with good audiences (in both senses of the word).

alberto

Mantova is "Mantua" , the small town (some 50.000 people) where fictionally the opera Rigoletto is located.
On the web one may find hints also of the pianist, Giulio De Padova.
Obviously I share hope for a happy success for this very enterprising  project.

hyperdanny

wow ..thanks for the heads up!
I didn't know anything about this, and I am absolutely intentioned to buy the tickets for the first concert ASAP, especially for the Scharwenka, of which I am very fond.
Last but not least, the Teatro Sociale in Mantova is gorgeous (built by an architect that studied with La Scala's Piermarini, it's sort of a later , early 1800's version of the Milanese theatre)

eschiss1

Not just Victor Hugo's Le roi s'amuse (= Rigoletto)... but an even more famous work by a well-known 16th/17th century English Bard takes place mostly there, unless I'm confused :D But yes.

Gareth Vaughan

If you are thinking of Romeo and Juliet, the play is set in Verona (although Romeo is banished to Mantua).

eschiss1

hyperdanny

I was just going on the internet to buy the tickets and both the concerts are now cancelled.
Oh this sucks.