Riotous Piano Concerti. One "vote" each!

Started by Steve B, Saturday 16 October 2010, 10:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Revilod

Quote from: Steve B on Monday 18 October 2010, 12:52
Am sure, Thal, vid WAS in Everett's best possible taste:)
Revilod, are u, overall, a Ponti afficianado?(though I discern some ambivalence in your remark that he sometimes goes too far:)!) I think his approach would have pleased the pianist-virtuosi-composers of the era: his power, flamboyance and zest(and fast tempi:))Though, as i have often said here, he CAN be delicate(in the slow movements and second, slower subjects). As everywhere, he(sometimes strongly) divides opinion here; I LOVE him and his style; would be interested to hear your views.

None of the Hyperion pianists brings a similar verve and devil-may-care; very staid. For instance, he brings the Raff to life so hypnotically and excitingly(not necessarily an oxymoron), which, besides its stunningly beautiful slow movement melody, and its later hair-on-back-standing contrapuntal combination of that melody with a complementary one, DOES need some special pleading. Whilst ALWAYS being fun, and beautiful in some other sections, besides the slow movement, it DOES have its longeurs: and Ponti brings the WHOLE thing to vibrant life. (the Bronsart is another example).
Maestro Ponti is now very ill; and is not even, in public anyway, playing left-handed(only-he had a stroke in about 1998). Have u heard him play Rach 3 (On Dante) Probably his last recording and the most exciting and moving/tear-jerking of any I know.

Steve

Oh yes, Steve. I'm very much a Ponti fan. It's partly, of course, because he introduced us to so much entertaining and previously neglected music in his Vox days. He set the ball rolling. He also conveyed  the spirit of the music he played so effectively. A good example, I think, is his recording of the Bronsart concerto. Nobody else, I think I'm right in saying, has dared to record it, yet it is a very fine work. In the finale, you get the impression Ponti's at full stretch technically and there are wrong notes and even one passage which is almost fluffed yet he knew that a cautious approach to the music  just wouldn't work and he was prepared to take a chance...even though, it seems, Vox weren't too interested in patching in retakes.

Ponti didn't always hit the bullseye, though. I do think he skates over Medtner's magnificent concerto a little and he seemed to be having a bit of an off-day when he recorded Balakirev's 2nd Concerto which can't compete with Malcolm Binns's  performance on Hyperion. But, overall, I am a definite Ponti fan. Ultimately, aren't we all?

I haven't heard his Rachmaninov 3 and must investigate it!

Ilja

My vote goes to the Stavenhagen 1. Short but furious, with that delightfully theatrical coda.

jerfilm

I'm with you Steve.  Always liked Ponti, maybe mostly because he was a leader in bringing us the early "unsung" piano concertos (also my favorite genre......).  Sadly, the Minnesota never brought him to Minneapolis. 

Steve B

what is your favourite Ponti Romantic Piano concerto, jerfilm?
Steve

And, Ilja: i like your "delightfully theatrical" re those end chords of the Stavenhagen 1; very true.

eschiss1

Quote from: Steve B on Wednesday 20 October 2010, 01:05
what is your favourite Ponti Romantic Piano concerto, jerfilm?
Steve

And, Ilja: i like your "delightfully theatrical" re those end chords of the Stavenhagen 1; very true.
It's a sign one's too nearly asleep when "Ponti Romantic" scans as "Post Romantic".
Let's see what's arrived in the morning Ponti...

jerfilm

My favorite has always been the Moszkowski.  Followed closely by Thalberg, Moscheles 3, Kalkbrenner, well, this is impossible.  They were most all second choices.  I often wished he had done Scharwenka 3, which is one of my favorites.  Also Von Sauer 1.

Funny how you get used to a given performance of a work.  I had purchased every recording of the Moszkowski that has been issued since and none compare.  For me, at least.  I don't know if it's the fire or the rubato tempos or what.  I used to listen to recordings before going to live concerts in Minneapolis but gave it up because too often, despite a terrific performance, I would be disappointed because it just didn't sound "right".......as soon as I quit doing that, I started discovering amazing "new" interpretations of familiar music.  From as far back as 30 years, I will never forget a Skrowaczewski performance of the Sibelius 2nd.....or an Elgar 1st conducted by Neville Mariner that brought me to tears.  Some performances you just never forget.... Hey, that might make a good thread.....

JimL

If you're talking about the Kalkbrenner #1 and Ponti, he never did that.  Hans Kann recorded it for regular Turnabout, coupled with the Hummel Op. 110.

Glazier

Dear contributors,

Thank you for your hints on late romantic PCs. Many of them are on youtube. How about you fans uploading your gems so that we can all enjoy them?

oldman

the alla italia movement of the busoni piano concerto is as riotous as they come!

FBerwald

Scharwenka No. 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What else?!?

Jonathan

Ilja

Quote from: FBerwald on Sunday 07 November 2010, 15:06
Scharwenka No. 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What else?!?
Ehm...
Scharwenka No. 2

... maybe?...

thalbergmad

I appear to have forgotten to vote.

I vote for Schytte.

Thal

Mark Thomas

Kriton

Only one vote? :(

Then mine has to go to Haydn Wood's concerto!