Riotous Piano Concerti. One "vote" each!

Started by Steve B, Saturday 16 October 2010, 10:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve B

Sgambati-especially the first movement and ending of the last. Steve

JimL

Well, since you took the Sgambati, how about Scharwenka 4?

Mark Thomas

Scharwenka No.1 in Earl Wild's performance would be my choice. The barnstorming first movement, which always reminds me of the "Entry of the Gladiators" (a compliment!), the delicious Scherzo and the echt-romantic piano concerto Finale; what a package!

Alan Howe

Amphissa

Peter1953

The Henselt. My goodness, what a piano entry in the first movement. But the finale... just listen to the tutti opening and you feel, no, you know that something is going to happen. Wow...

Hovite

Revilod

Eugen d'Albert's Second belted out by Michael Ponti...not in Piers Lane's cautious performance. So much happens in that 15 minute span. It's a piece which beats Liszt at his own game!

JimL

Quote from: Revilod on Saturday 16 October 2010, 21:49
Eugen d'Albert's Second belted out by Michael Ponti...not in Piers Lane's cautious performance. So much happens in that 15 minute span. It's a piece which beats Liszt at his own game!
A fine work, but rioutous?  Well, maybe Ponti could turn a quiet riot into a knock-down dragout!

jerfilm

Ah, the Moszkowski = the finale = now THERE'S a romp....

Revilod

Quote from: JimL on Saturday 16 October 2010, 22:42
Quote from: Revilod on Saturday 16 October 2010, 21:49
A fine work, but rioutous?  Well, maybe Ponti could turn a quiet riot into a knock-down dragout!

Ponti could turn anything into a riot. His pioneering recording of Medtner's  Third Piano Concerto shaves well over 5 minutes off Demidenko's recording...and he's no slouch! I do think Ponti's version of the d'Albert concerto is very much in the spirit of the music even if he may go to far.

By the way, does anyone remember an old video of Volker Banfeld playing d'Albert's concerto dressed as a British airman Kenny Everett style?!

thalbergmad

Never seen this video, but I assume it was done in the best possible taste.

Thal

Steve B

Am sure, Thal, vid WAS in Everett's best possible taste:)
Revilod, are u, overall, a Ponti afficianado?(though I discern some ambivalence in your remark that he sometimes goes too far:)!) I think his approach would have pleased the pianist-virtuosi-composers of the era: his power, flamboyance and zest(and fast tempi:))Though, as i have often said here, he CAN be delicate(in the slow movements and second, slower subjects). As everywhere, he(sometimes strongly) divides opinion here; I LOVE him and his style; would be interested to hear your views.

None of the Hyperion pianists brings a similar verve and devil-may-care; very staid. For instance, he brings the Raff to life so hypnotically and excitingly(not necessarily an oxymoron), which, besides its stunningly beautiful slow movement melody, and its later hair-on-back-standing contrapuntal combination of that melody with a complementary one, DOES need some special pleading. Whilst ALWAYS being fun, and beautiful in some other sections, besides the slow movement, it DOES have its longeurs: and Ponti brings the WHOLE thing to vibrant life. (the Bronsart is another example).
Maestro Ponti is now very ill; and is not even, in public anyway, playing left-handed(only-he had a stroke in about 1998). Have u heard him play Rach 3 (On Dante) Probably his last recording and the most exciting and moving/tear-jerking of any I know.

Steve

Steve B

great, Moskowski and Paderewski got a vote too. i recommend the later(Dante) Ponti Moszkowski as its orchestra is very good; not dicey, like the old (loveable:))Vox ones. The Raff, Rheinberger, Rubinstein(4)(I think) and Hiller were also re-recorded for Dante.Despite the opinion on the Review of the Raff on the actual Raff site , the orchestra is not, in my opinion(sorry again, Mark) NOT faint, but fairly close-up and detailed.But its not quite as an exciting a performance.
Keep them coming- though Sgambati, Paderewski, Moszkie, D'Albert(dont know the Reizenstein) take some beating. BTW, you can vote for the same concerto that someone else has already voted for; just try and keep it to one choice per PERSON!. So, that gives Sgambati two votes and the others one each.
Thanks Steve