Franz Lachner's 2nd & 4th symphonies; an appeal.

Started by John H White, Monday 12 August 2019, 16:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

gprengel

In a former thread I read that someone of you has created a midi file of the 6th symphony. I would be very much interested in this, especially as I read that Schumann considered this one as his best symphony! Is this still available somewhere? In the IMSPL site I found only the notes of a version of a piano version for 4 hands ...

By the way this morning I heard Lachner's Requiem for the first time - it has some beautiful passages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLFfhv3l2Is&list=OLAK5uy_mIJT9BVREcLOZS05QnWml0GK6JC4e6sgU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQT25gEfHRs&list=OLAK5uy_mIJT9BVREcLOZS05QnWml0GK6JC4e6sgU&index=8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ3t4d3xayU&list=OLAK5uy_mIJT9BVREcLOZS05QnWml0GK6JC4e6sgU&index=11

Gerd

Alan Howe

eschiss1

The 6th can be heard @ here (YouTube). (55 minutes in all...) That someone may have been me; I've listened to the MIDI (which I did not create...) of no.6 many times with much enjoyment considering that it's a MIDI and expect that a performance by a fine conductor and orchestra would be even better. (Though if my experience is any indication that could be awhile :) )

The full score was published by 1838 by Haslinger, and has been republished by Musikproduction Höflich (for 38 Euros for the score.) See MPH.

gprengel

Would you send me the midi, please ?? I could create quickly a much better sound with noteperformer ...

eschiss1

I've never had it. There's a thread about the symphony and Mr. White's work on creating it here- I see him in this thread just yesterday, maybe you two could collaborate...

gprengel

It took me about 25 hours (many complicated 1/16 and 1/32 notes especially in the middle) - but today I could finish the Adagio of the 2nd symphony - and I am so grateful that I could do it! It is such a rich movement with a most tender and melodious main part in B flat major carried dominantly by the oboe and a great and passionate middle part in B-flat-minor.

Please listen to it - if possible with headphones:

www.gerdprengel.de/Lachner_symph_2_Adagio.mp3

Tomorrow I hope to present also the score

Thank you for introducing me to Franz Lachner of whom until 2 weeks ago I never had heard of before ...

Please share your impressions ...

Gerd

tpaloj

Fine work again Gerd!! I'm not such an acute critic as others here are to analyze the music but I'd say this is indeed one strong, even inventive Adagio on first hearing. Bravo for Lachner. It's been said about his symphonies that the inner movements are often stronger than the long-winded outer ones.

Coincidentally I just finished creating audio of the Scherzo from the 4th Symphony. Phew! Hopefully the audio quality is not too offensive. I was a bit puzzled about the latter part of the manuscript - there's 13 pages worth of music preceded vaguely on the first page by the words "gilt nicht" (=does not apply; discard?). It appears like an earlier version of the Trio so I decided not to include it. Clocking at around 11 minutes, there's plenty of repetitions in this Scherzo to go around even when those pages are omitted  :)

Audio: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbcg4u4ge6v63b5/Franz%20Lachner%20-%20Symphony%20no%204%2C%20Scherzo%20audio.mp3?dl=0

John H White

Gerd, I've just seen your  post on the 6th symphony which I put into Sibelius software a few years back .  You are certainly welcome to receive the WAV version but, if you can let me have your home address, I'll post you a CD of it. You can contact me by email on   jalbis127@gmail,com
    Personally, I think young Robert Schumann  i , the music critic, who later wrote 4 fine symphonies of his own, was rather over enthusiastic about this work.. I find the opening movement rather monotonous apart from the fugue towards the end. The slow movement is a bit better but I do like the rather spooky mjnor mode scherzo and especially the Rollicikng finale.
       Cheers,
            John.

gprengel

Dear John, I know the wav file from the 6th symph. already from YouTube and I think the sound quality is not so good. If you could send me the XML-Export from the Sibelius source I could improve the sound rendition significantly  using NotePerformer. Do you still have the Sibelius file?

gprengel

Dear tpaloj,

you did a great job to edit and record the Scherzo from symph. #4, but I must admit that the Scherzo from the 2nd symph. thematically I find more convincing, especially regarding the Trio.

Here now I also present the preliminary score of the Adagio, both as pdf and as XML. Could you try to import the XML to your Sibelius and check whether this works?

www.gerdprengel.de/Lachner_symph_2_Adagio.pdf
www.gerdprengel.de/Lachner_symph_2_Adagio.musicxml
www.gerdprengel.de/Lachner_symph_2_Adagio.mp3

Gerd

John H White

Dear Gerd,
Please forgive my ignorance, but I think I've managed to get all the 4 Sibelius files into compressed XML, but I don't know how to proceed from there. I'd be grateful for a bit of help in locating them and finally posting them please.

gprengel

Hi, John, when you created the xml file you probably got a pop up window opened where you could enter the name for the file. There you could see also the location path for the file. If you forgot that, you can begin to repeat it and you see the location (without the need to actually execute the store again).
This file then you can attach to an email which you can send to me...

What do you think about the Adagio from the 2nd symph. ?

Greetings
Gerd

gprengel

I am now almost half through the first half of the first movement of the 2nd symphony and I am amazed how good also this movement is! The main theme of the Allegro is a nice waltz   - if I didn't know it I would swear that it is from Tschaikowsky, like the 3rd mov. from his 5th symphony written 50 years later !