The Greatest Unsung American Symphony?

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 22 October 2010, 13:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Latvian

QuoteThe marginalization of classical music from the mainstream of American culture is really part of a much larger problem -- the rampant anti-intellectualism that pervades the country. Despite lip-service to education, in practice, there is little real commitment to substantive education by federal and state governments, and a deep skepticism of education by the general populace.

Right on!

mbhaub

Having been in public education for over  30 years, I have seen first hand the lip-service from the political class and the astonishing lack of interest by the public. When my school needs a new football coach though, then it becomes an issue of national importance. Everyone is so concerned. They have hearings and meetings and interviews. But if you need a new calculus teacher, eh, who cares? is the attitude. Given the success of Venezuela and Il sistemo in producing classical musically inclined kids, like Gustavo Dudamel, there are awakenings of interest in trying something like it here. Of course, Americans never learn. We have several Rock and Roll Schools opening. Forget trying to teach kids violin, piano or something truly beneficial and difficult. We'll kowtow to the lowest common denominator and teach rock guitar and drums. Of course, they won't be taught to read music. And parents buy into it! It's sad really. In most of our schools, the top honor students are Asian, and the orchestras are full of Asians. More power to them! The stupid anglo parents don't want their kids playing sissy stuff like classical music, and will doom their offspring to a musically meaningless life. Sorry to rant, but the dumbing down of musical standards is a real sore spot with me.

Latvian

QuoteHaving been in public education for over  30 years, I have seen first hand the lip-service from the political class and the astonishing lack of interest by the public. When my school needs a new football coach though, then it becomes an issue of national importance. Everyone is so concerned. They have hearings and meetings and interviews. But if you need a new calculus teacher, eh, who cares? is the attitude. Given the success of Venezuela and Il sistemo in producing classical musically inclined kids, like Gustavo Dudamel, there are awakenings of interest in trying something like it here. Of course, Americans never learn. We have several Rock and Roll Schools opening. Forget trying to teach kids violin, piano or something truly beneficial and difficult. We'll kowtow to the lowest common denominator and teach rock guitar and drums. Of course, they won't be taught to read music. And parents buy into it! It's sad really. In most of our schools, the top honor students are Asian, and the orchestras are full of Asians. More power to them! The stupid anglo parents don't want their kids playing sissy stuff like classical music, and will doom their offspring to a musically meaningless life. Sorry to rant, but the dumbing down of musical standards is a real sore spot with me.

I couldn't agree more! I think you've really hit the nail on the head with your comment about kowtowing to the lowest common denominator. This is true in many aspects of American life, sadly. Instead of striving to raise the abilities of the less able, we denigrate and diminish the accomplishments of the more able, not wanting to be "elitist." We wind up glorifying ignorance, lack of accomplishment, and mediocrity. The dumbing-down of American (and other countries, to be sure) is in full swing!

Alan Howe

Don't worry - dumbing down's been going on for years in the UK too. Try US writer Neil Postman's book Amusing Ourselves To Death written a quarter of a century ago - truly prophetic. Of course, Huxley got it right in Brave New World (rather than Orwell in 1984): whereas Orwell feared those who would ban books, Huxley was afraid that there would be no reason to ban books because nobody would want to read one. Except if you live in North Korea...

vandermolen

David Diamond's Third Symphony - worthy I think to stand alongside the other great American 'thirds' by Harris, Schuman and Copland.

Alan Howe

How about Rochberg's superb 5th? Arresting, exciting - and consciously part of The Great Tradition. What a piece - haven't been so excited by something relatively modern (1984-5) in years!

suffolkcoastal

The American Symphony is one of my passions, it would be almost impossible for me to pick out the greatest but for me the following symphonies are among the best:

Barber 1 & 2
Bristow Symphony in F# minor
Chadwick 2 
Copland 2 & 3
Corigliano 1
Creston 2 & 3
Diamond 2, 3 & 4
Gould 3
Hanson 3 & 6
Harris 1, 3, 6, 7 & 11
Ives 3 & 4
Mennin 7 & 8
Paine 1
Piston 2, 4 & 6
Riegger 4
Rochberg 5
Rouse 1
Schuman 3, 5, 6 & 9
Sessions 2, 7 & 9

The worst I've come across are the Rosner Symphonies, bland to the point of making one angry and the Shapero Symphony for a Classical Orchestra, when I first heard it I wasn't sure if it was a bad joke.

Alan Howe

Quote from: suffolkcoastal on Monday 16 April 2012, 22:44
The worst I've come across are the Rosner Symphonies, bland to the point of making one angry and the Shapero Symphony for a Classical Orchestra, when I first heard it I wasn't sure if it was a bad joke.

...whereas I greatly admire Shapero's Symphony. Stravinsky and Beethoven do mix! IMHO, of course...

jerfilm

How sad that we can't even begin to judge the list of romantic symphonys that no one programs.   Here are examples:

Bristow 1,3,5
Brockway in D
Burleigh 1,2
Coerne 1-6
Hadley 1,3,5,6,7
Hutcheson 1,2
Loeffler Hora Mystica
Parker in c
Saminsky 1-5
Shapleigh 1,2
Smith, David 1,2
Stock 1,2
Strong 1,3

To name some of the more familiar names.....

Jerry

Dundonnell

Thanks for reminding me about George Templeton Strong :)  I shall add him to my list for cataloguing ;D  Henry Kimball Hadley is up next anyway. Loeffler and Parker have been done. The others I may need to pass on though :(