Diaghilev lectures.

Started by giles.enders, Wednesday 25 September 2019, 10:28

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Gresham College, London are having a series of lectures about Diaghilev and his Ballets Russes. Given that he was such a huge influence on classical music and commissioned many pieces, I thought it worth drawing attention to members of this forum. All the lectures are live streamed on YouTube.  dates are 24.9.2019,  21.1.2020 followed by a further four. The lectures are given by Marina Frolova-Walker.

giles.enders

Just a reminder, the next lecture is tomorrow.  It can be streamed.  It is focusing on The Right of Spring.

Alan Howe

Or The Rite of Spring, perhaps...

eschiss1

I think the translation of the original title was neither Right nor Rite but "Rites".

Christopher

Either way it must surely be one of the most beloved pieces of music among members of this forum  ;D

Alan Howe

The original title was 'Le sacre du printemps' (SINGULAR!!)

Discussion from now on to be restricted to music permitted by our remit. Thanks!

giles.enders

It is the lectures that I wished to highlight.  Diaghilev commissioned some of the greatest works of the early 20th. What is particularly interesting about TRS is that it changed many European composers thinking, most importantly and regretfully Schoenberg whose Gurrelieder was premiered just after The Right of Spring. Not all members of this site are aficionado's of what to many might be considered a cataclysmic change to Romantic music.

Alan Howe

QuoteThe Right of Spring

Giles: it's the Rite of Spring!

OK, so the topic is certainly fascinating, but we must restrict ourselves to Diaghilev commissions etc. that we can discuss here - not ones that we can't!