Draeseke: String Quartets Vol 1, Op. 27 and Op. 35

Started by khorovod, Wednesday 02 October 2019, 09:27

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Well, as to digital release, I see that another similar and recent cpo disc (Gernsheim quartets volume 1) is now listed @ Naxos Direct (and if I remember is streamable at Amazon also), likewise they list several other cpo discs that have been mentioned here (on their "cpo issues ordered "newest first"")
so hopefully not too long for -this- one too...
(_Some_ of these are available @ NML (and some, but not all, of those to subscribers of NML through imslp.org - sometimes irregularly, eg a cpo disc both of whose works are @ imslp will only appear on one of the two pages despite their being no copyright issues- maybe one just needs to wait a bit...))

Kevin

If anyone knows of the digital release date post it here please(I don't want to hunt all over the net looking for date) My thanks in advance.

eschiss1

In the meanwhile having -finally- heard the 2nd quartet (in a video of a 1980s concert and/or radio recording) I too am impatient for digital release of this CD; it is just as fine a work as I'd hoped :)

semloh

When you (Eric and Kevin) refer to "the digital release of this CD" do you mean a digital download?

Kevin

QuoteWhen you (Eric and Kevin) refer to "the digital release of this CD" do you mean a digital download?

Yes. A physical CD gets release preference because I imagine its not as susceptible to pirates/youtube/streaming.

Kevin

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8704305--felix-draeseke-string-quartets-vol-1

It doesn't say anything about digital, but in my experience with CPO it should the same day as the CD or very close to it.

eschiss1

TerraEpon

Quote from: Kevin S on Monday 04 November 2019, 08:07

Yes. A physical CD gets release preference because I imagine its not as susceptible to pirates/youtube/streaming.

I've noticed that the opposite is almost all cases the past couple or more years. The digital comes out a couple weeks, sometimes a month, before the CD. Maybe this isn't true for specific labels but for sure is for the larger labels (the 'majors' and the large classical indies like Naxos and Chandos)

Incidentally to get back on topic, I'm guessing since I really enjoy that disc of Draeseke's horn and clarinet music, this one should be on my radar?

eschiss1

From the live performance I've heard from them (from YouTube) of the minuet from the first quartet, and the live performance by a different group of the 2nd quartet (also on YouTube, which I've played several times- it's becoming something of a favorite piece I think- there's several minutes of excerpts from the only other existing recording, over at Draeseke.org, that may help explain some of the reason why- eg melodically very memorable and well-crafted even for middle-period Draeseke (especially compared to the contemporary piano concerto)),  - I'd say yes.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Now available for download, as is its booklet, here.

Kevin

I've listened to both. I was slightly disappointed with both, the quartets could've maybe had better/stronger melodic material? I have to give them a deeper dive again later to be sure(I always give works a second, third or many tries to win me over). Apart from his 3rd Symphony Draeseke doesn't grab me as much as I'd like. A pity.

Alan Howe

Draeseke is a relatively 'tough nut to crack', I must admit. That said, Quartet No.2 has one of the most haunting and memorable openings in the whole string quartet repertoire: that arching theme is almost Brucknerian in character.

Gareth Vaughan

I agree. Draeseke can seem difficult on first hearing (I certainly found him so), but he is very much worth persevering with (IMHO).

semloh

Yes, the 2nd is beautiful, and I think it just gets better each time I hear it. That first movement is especially fine.