RPC Gablenz PC & Paderewski Polish Fantasy

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 20 October 2019, 22:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

The Gramophone (Awards issue) reports that Jonathan Plowright has recorded Jerzy Gablenz's PC of 1926, coupled with Paderewski's Polish Fantasy, for Hyperion. The BBC Scottish SO were conducted by Lukas Borowicz. Release dat is to be September 2020.

Gareth Vaughan

chill319

Without meaning to hijack this thread... since there's mention of a companion piece, seldom heard live in the U.S., I'll mention that this evening the Raleigh Symphony Orchestra performed the Polish Fantasy, with Hubert Rutkowski at the keyboard. Mr. Rutkowsky milked it for every ounce of its power, poetry and panache, which turned out to be considerable, and the result was a real crowd pleaser. I thought the work stronger than it had seemed from recordings, with the orchestra's part writing pleasing, often clever, and colorful.

semloh

CorentinBoissier

Hello,
I just uploaded Jerzy Gablenz's "Piano Concerto in D-flat major" op. 25 (1926), in the same performance as the one whose link is missing for long...
I took it from a Polish source - the sound is slightly better than the one formerly on YouTube...
Corentin Boissier

Rob H

BBC radio 3 tomorrow in the afternoon:-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000gt45

This should shed a little light on at least one forthcoming RPC release. I presume it will be 82 but I have no inside info.

Rob

Alan Howe

Details here, as announced at beginning of thread:

Gablenz: Piano Concerto, Op.25
Paderewski: Fantaisie Polonaise, Op.19
BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
Jonathan Plowright, piano
Lukasz Borowicz, conductor

eschiss1

guessing so since 81 is the topic of the more recent thread and their issuing two, let alone three, in the series, in three months is pretty remarkable already :)

Ilja

Quote from: CorentinBoissier on Tuesday 29 October 2019, 15:05
Hello,
I just uploaded Jerzy Gablenz's "Piano Concerto in D-flat major" op. 25 (1926), in the same performance as the one whose link is missing for long...
I took it from a Polish source - the sound is slightly better than the one formerly on YouTube...
Corentin Boissier
As far as I can see there's still a recording on YouTube, mind you.

Alan Howe

Martin Eastick

Excellent! Really looking forward to this which will probably be one Hyperion's most interesting RPC release for a while! Without sounding greedy though, I do hope that some of Gablenz' orchestral works will somehow get done at some stage - probably the best chance of this will be one of the Polish labels, and I imagine Lukasz Borowicz would fit the bill admirably!

semloh

Thanks for the notice, Alan. I think it's quite adventurous choice for RPC83. I'm sure it will prove popular, and although I have the Paderewski on an Olympia CD, I'll certainly be looking to get this.

Justin

Reminder that this was just released today!

semloh