Asger Hamerik: Nordic Sute No.1

Started by Mark Thomas, Tuesday 29 October 2019, 08:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Zusac drew my attention to a recording on YouTube of one of Hamerik's five Nordic Suites and I've added it to our Downloads Board here. It's an old mono radio broadcast (the YouTube poster says 1968) and the sound isn't top notch, but it's good enough to get to know this attractive novelty. As far as I can establish, none of the suites have been recorded commercially.

Richard Moss

Mark,

Many thanks for the Hamerik 'Nordik Suite' upload. 

I'm just downloading it as I type and look forward to listening later today.  May I (politely!) ask what prompted you to upload it just now? As I'm not a fan of opera or chamber music, I really appreciate it when a symphony, concerto or other non-vocal orchestral work gets uploaded, the majority of which DO get multiple plays once downloaded.

Best wishes

Richard

Mark Thomas

As I mentioned above, Zusac kindly PMed me a couple of days ago as he'd noticed it on YouTube. Some members like to have mp3s rather than listening on YouTube and, provided there are no copyright issues, I'm happy to turn a YouTube music post into mp3s and make it available here.

semloh

Richard Moss

Mark,

I've now had a first listen.  What a delightful 'bon-bon'.  Nothing too serious, just a nice way to spend 20 minutes.  Sound seemed (to my untrained ear) a little bit brassy/tinny but otherwise, considering its provenance, well worth the listen.  Tks again for the upload.

Best wishes

Richard

Justin

Thought it might be worth noting that the second movement, "Volkslied" (Folk song), takes an extended musical quotation from the Swedish tune "Ack, Värmeland du sköna."

Also, Hamerik's five Nordic suites were his most popular compositions until his seventh symphony was written in 1898.