Saint-Saëns - a couple of previously unrecorded small works

Started by Christopher, Saturday 09 November 2019, 12:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

This new Naxos release contains two (as far as I can tell) previously unrecorded Saint-Saëns works:

https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.574033

14.  Andromaque, Act IV: Prélude
17.  Ouverture d'un Opéra - Comique inachevé

TerraEpon

Yeah, I've been wanting a recording of the overture forever. And despite it's late Op. number of 140 it's actually a really early piece.

Also the disc has an "alternative version" of a couple pieces of the Ascanio ballet. Curious is this is the 'Airs de Ballet' that's decently known, or something else.

semloh

Thanks for letting us know, Christopher. All new to me, and I suspect it's a 'must buy'!

Christopher

Actually it looks like the "Andromaque, Act IV: Prélude"  was already recorded on this CD - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Saint-Sa%C3%ABns-Rapsodie-bretonne-Andromaque-algerienne/dp/B000026JLE - apologies for the misinformation. 

But I hope I am right about the other piece!

There's some blurb about the overture here - https://saintsaenscomplete.wordpress.com/2013/05/17/overture-dun-opera-comique-inacheve/

TerraEpon

Well huh, I HAVE that CD and somehow forgot to indicate in my list that I have anything from Andromaque.

As far as I know, the overture has never been recorded.

Kevin

I notice this CD features some music from les barbares, is the whole opera worth hearing?

Christopher

Quote from: TerraEpon on Monday 11 November 2019, 13:18
Well huh, I HAVE that CD and somehow forgot to indicate in my list that I have anything from Andromaque.

As far as I know, the overture has never been recorded.

Yes, it has been - it's on one of my Saint-Saens CDs (will check when I get home).

TerraEpon

Huh well I'd like to know what disc. Sure it's not the Overture de Fete? (Which is on a disc with La Foi, Phaeton and the Second Symphony)

mjmosca

Kevin S- in regard to Les Barbares, I found that there is allot of very fine music in the score, but the soloist, particularly the tenor and mezzo soprano were very unsatisfactory- the first has a voice too small for the role, without core or any darkness, and the latter wobbles all over the place. It is difficult to enjoy a new work, when the singers have such difficulty. On the other hand, it is unlikely that the opera will receive another recording. Among the operas of Saint-Saens, I find that Henry VIII, Ascanio, Etienne Marcel, and Proserpine to be really great discoveries that could join Samson et Daiila in the repertory as occasional visitors, at least. I also enjoy Helene and The Yellow Princess, both well recorded.

Kevin

Thanks for the heads up mjmosca. It looks like I'll be skipping Les Barbares, just as well because I couldn't find a digital release anywhere. I agree about Henry VIII and Ascanio, the latter might just be his finest opera at least according to me, certainly the one I get the most enjoyment out of.

Christopher

Quote from: TerraEpon on Tuesday 12 November 2019, 01:25
Huh well I'd like to know what disc. Sure it's not the Overture de Fete? (Which is on a disc with La Foi, Phaeton and the Second Symphony)

So huh it turns out that the version I had WAS the one with Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte-Carlo, David Robertson

TerraEpon

Sorry -- I said 'the overture hasn't been recorded', referring to Overture d'un Opera Comique inacheve ....sorry for being unclear.

Christopher

Quote from: TerraEpon on Saturday 09 November 2019, 13:24
Yeah, I've been wanting a recording of the overture forever. And despite it's late Op. number of 140 it's actually a really early piece.

Also the disc has an "alternative version" of a couple pieces of the Ascanio ballet. Curious is this is the 'Airs de Ballet' that's decently known, or something else.

Hi TerraEpon - which of the Ascanio tracks are alternative, do you know?

TerraEpon

The two at the end of the disc labeled "Ascanio, Act III: Ballet (alternative version) (excerpts) " -- looking at the liner notes it's very clearly "Airs de ballet d'Ascanio" which is often put on flute discs.