News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Werner Andreas Albert

Started by MartinH, Monday 11 November 2019, 04:08

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinH

I see maestro Albert has passed at 84. Made some important contributions to the Unsung repertoire: Raff, Korngold and others. Rest in peace.

Justin

Obituary in German can be found here: https://www.br-klassik.de/aktuell/news-kritik/werner-andreas-albert-dirigent-gestorben-nachruf-100.html

Especially grateful to him for all of his radio performances of Nicodé's works.

Alan Howe

Yes, a very important conductor of neglected music. Sad to hear.

Justin

I listened to Britishcomposer's upload of Raff's "Aus Thüringen," conducted by Albert from a 1990s radio broadcast.

I just wish that the recording was in stereo, not mono. I'm sure it would sound even more terrific!

The work did not appeal to me (after listening to Stadlmair) until I heard Albert's interpretation. Full of vitality and solemness in the first two movements, absolutely wonderful how a single man can help unleash that atmosphere. The same can be said of his conducting of Marteau's violin concerto, and Zilcher's Rameau suite.

Some people are just born with that talent to bring the most out of an orchestra and whip up the enthusiasm or sincerity for a work that deserves it.

Mark Thomas

Herr Albert is indeed a sad loss. His contribution to the unsung repertoire was very significant, although he hadn't made many recordings in recent years

Alan Howe