Thomas Molleson Mudie 1809-1876

Started by giles.enders, Monday 11 November 2019, 10:06

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Thomas Molleson Mudie  Born 30.11.1809 in Chelsea, London  Died 24.7.1876 London

Mudie was the son of Scottish parents. In 1823 he was one of ten successful candidates for entry in the first examination for entry to the Royal Academy Of music in London. He studied under William Crotch and Cipriani Potter. He also studied clarinet under Thomas Willman.  Having completed his studies he was appointed a professor of piano at the RAM. In 1844 he went to Edinburgh as a teacher, he also gave a number of piano recitals while there.  He returned to London in 1863, where he remained for the rest of his life. 

According to Grove all his music was deposited at The RAM, however they seem to have lost a worrying amount of it. If readers can fill in the gaps it would be helpful. On a personal note; I have found the Library at the RAM to be the most unhelpful in the UK for bona fide researchers.

Orchestral

Symphony in E flat  1827
Symphony in C major 1830
Symphony in B flat major  1831
Symphony in F major  1835
Symphony in D major  1837

There were numerous other orchestral works

Chamber

Piano Quintet in E flat major
Piano Trio in D major

Piano

L'aimable  rondo in E flat  1851
Au revoir - set of quadrilles
Christabel - waltz
Favourite airs from opera 'She stoops to conquer'
Favourite airs from opera 'The Merry wives of Windsor'
La Gentilezza   pub. by Boosey
Gondolier's sons   pub by Boosey
Grand triumphal march
Military Fantasia
1st Nocturne
Le Souvenir  polka

There were a total of 48 piano solos

L'Entretien  for piano duet
Ye Banks and Braes  piano 4 hands

There were 6 piano duets

Song

Luigi dal caro bene
The Dew drop
The Dying Gladiator  words by Lord Byron
Evening 
The Fisherman  words by Charles Kingsley
His and mine  words by C E Mudie
I'll never leave thee
My love's in Germanie
Remembrance - duet
Retrospection  words by R Mills
The Rowan tree
Ah! Beautious maiden tell me why  words by D Ryon
Now the bright morning star  words by John Milton
Sweet Day  words by George Herbert
All that's bright must fade  words by Thomas Moore
There be none of beauty's daughters  words by Lord Byron
There was a lad
Though art gone away
Wayward Thoughts  words by Mrs R H Foster

There were 42 songs and 24 sacred songs. 

Gareth Vaughan

I can certainly echo your comments about the general unhelpfulness of the RAM Library. Also, I am sorry to report that they have lost other works in their catalogue that I know of: a complete set of orchestral parts for the 4th Symphony (The Cambrian) by Frederic Cowen, to name but one.

Martin Eastick

I will also take this opportunity to add to the above criticisms of the RAM. Some years ago, I wished to examine the MS works of Agnes Zimmermann (which include a quintet for piano and woodwind amongst many others, and although all apparently early works nevertheless should not be disregarded out of hand - and certainly not kept from the attentions of those interested enough to want to take things further with regards to possible prtformances etc!). I have to say that I was absolutely disgusted with the complete negative attitude to my requests, which in the end proved to be so restrictive and unhelpful, that I felt my endeavours would be far better focussed elsewhere. To sum matters up, the RAM are nothing short of a national disgrace with regards to their holding of ANY items of this country's musical heritage, and I would urge anyone who has any collection, library or archive of any musical interest whatsoever, to seriously consider the damage that leaving such items to the RAM would cause. The RAM should rightfully be totally ashamed of their abysmal track record in the conservation of musical heritage together with a haughty and supercilious attitude shown towards those individuals of the sincerest of intentions, trying to access material that they seem to want to keep to themselves for no good reason!