Frederick Septimus Kelly (1881-1916): Orchestral Works

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 26 November 2019, 12:44

Previous topic - Next topic

4candles

Definitely interesting! You perhaps know that the composer's Twelve Studies, Op.9 and 24 Monographs, Op.11, for piano are in the offing at Toccata Classics.

Gareth Vaughan

You may know that I was instrumental in getting Kelly's Serenade, Op. 7 recorded by Cameo Classics (now released on an excellent 4 CD compilation of orchestral music by British composers on Lyrita). It is a splendid work beautifully scored, and deserves to be heard more often. I am looking forward very much to this disk.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Mark Thomas

I bought the download a couple of weeks ago, but haven't listened yet to any of the tracks. Unfortunately the booklet isn't included in the digital release, which I thought niggardly. Still, the music's the thing.

Jimfin

Oh, I must get this! I love the Kelly Serenade. I have the 2 cd release of works of his from a couple of years ago, plus the Cameo recording, and Kelly seems a very fine composer. Apparently a great rower too.

semloh

ABC Classic (Australia) regularly plays the music of FS Kelly. I think the name 'Septimus' is an asset in terms of public awareness.  :)

Alan Howe

The 'German Symphony', which was actually called 'Orchestral Suite in E flat major' (and renamed by the writer of the sleevote, Christopher Latham), is actually a rather lovely piece - melodious, shapely, attractive and with a certain neo-classical feel to it. I'm glad to have made its acquaintance.

semloh

Gareth, I only just noticed that you said you played a part in getting the Serenade recorded. All I can say, is a huge 'thank you'. It's a real joy.  :)

Jimfin

A wonderful collection. I'm slghtly in two minds about the renaming of the German Symphony, but it's a lovely piece. The Elegy I think stands out as perhaps his finest orchestral work I've heard. The songs are very melodious too.

Gareth Vaughan

Thank you, semloh. One does one's best when the opportunity arises!