Hans Koessler - Symphonic Variations, Dohnanyi - Stabat Mater

Started by britishcomposer, Sunday 01 December 2019, 13:23

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

The orchestra on demand blog noticed a broadcast by Hungarian radio Bartok of the following two works:
Koessler: Symphonic Variations 
Dohnányi: Stabat Mater 
http://orchestraondemand.blogspot.com/

I followed the links but couldn't get the site play.
Does any of our kind members succeed in playing and recording these rarities?

Mark Thomas

britishcomposer

Thank you, Mark!
Strange, I can play the live stream but the on demand stream button doesn't react.

Mark Thomas

Well, they're both recorded and I hope to post the results tomorrow. At first hearing the sound isn't exactly top notch - rather thin and with a lot of extraneous noise - but I'll do my best with it. It may be my equipment, of course, so if anyone else can get a better recording I'd be delighted, because the Koessler sounds to be a good, solid Brahmsian piece.

Mark Thomas

The Koessler Symphonic Variations are now in our Downloads Board here. It's quite a good piece IMHO, but the recording quality is not of the best I'm afraid. Dohnanyi's Stabat Mater will follow later today or tomorrow.

Mark Thomas

britishcomposer

Justin

I just posted an improved recording of Koessler's piece. Any unusual sounds you hear are from the original broadcast.

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Please note the corrected title of Koessler's piece: Symphonic Variations in C sharp minor "Den Manen Johannes Brahms" (checked against the title page of the score at IMSLP).