Stanford Quartets 1, 2 and 6 announced

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 04 December 2019, 21:23

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Sorry, folks! I didn't mean to start a debate on nationality and the vicissitudes of history.  :-[
We had a similar discussion in the past in which we noted that many composers were born in countries which have 'changed hands', changed names, and even disappeared altogether, and composers who were born in one country but grew up in another, or moved and changed citizenship.... Let's go back to these lovely Stanford Quartets. :)

Jimfin

Charles Wood, unlike Stanford, was born in Northern Ireland, so can definitely be considered British (and also Irish).

eschiss1

Kevin

Just managed to listen to this superb album. A joy from beginning to end. It's nice to know we have the masters complete string quartets on record now for posterity. I hope we will still get the quintets later this year from SOMM.

eschiss1

Vaguely recall someone had that lined up for some label, will see if I can find where I saw that.

eschiss1

ah ok, they do plan the quintets. Depressing to read from a group that's made so many good recordings of more recent music (Rubbra eg) this line though "new generations with new ears have now rejected the baggage of post-WW1 generations"

britishcomposer

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 05 August 2020, 13:51
Depressing to read from a group that's made so many good recordings of more recent music (Rubbra eg) this line though "new generations with new ears have now rejected the baggage of post-WW1 generations"

To be fair, it's Jeremy Dibble who said it, not Krysia Osostowicz.

eschiss1

That took me a moment longer than it should have done to understand, but got it.