Beethoven - 250th Anniversary (newly recorded works)

Started by Richard Moss, Thursday 05 December 2019, 09:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Moss

Friends,

There are a number of 'complete works' box-sets and CDs on sale or due very shortly and undoubtedly more will follow to celebrate this event.  The reason for this post is that, although the web-site 'Unheard Beethoven' has a list of seldom/never before heard works that can be downloaded as mp3 files, these are, as far as I know, all on a synthesised rendering of the works. 

As these box sets come to market, I would really appreciate it if members, as and when they become aware, can post a notification of any non-synthesised work they think has previously not been available on CD.  Whilst my own particular interest is orchestral (symphonic/concertante works), I appreciate many members have interests in choral/vocal, chamber and instrumental works so I would not wish to restrict any such notifications to my own narrow interest.

If anyone knows anywhere else I could look for this info with the same 'authority' that UC members are able to give, please let me know.  Similarly, although Classic FM are having a 'once a week' year long celebration, there rarely play anything not already on CD and I don't know if the regime at Radio 3 are (or are not) making any special plans

Any help (in due course) will be much appreciated.  Like dogs, a list is not just for Christmas!

Best wishes ti all

Richard Moss

TerraEpon

Naxos has a list here https://www.naxos.com/beethoven250/recordings.html
The 'rarities' disc from Universal is https://www.beethoven-playon.com/new-releases/6-44525/560551/rarities though a review on Amazon claims some of these may have been released on a disc 10 years ago (not sure if he was refering to the stuff here or some other works)

Richard Moss

Tks Terrapon,

I'll  get my walking boots  out and go for as stroll.

Best wishes

Richard

Jonathan

I believe Radio 3 is devoting Composer of the Week every other week throughout 2020 to Beethoven. Hope this helps!

There's also a recently released CD on Naxos which includes the solo piano version of Wellington's Victory and the WoO 1, the "Ritterballet"

Alan Howe

QuoteI believe Radio 3 is devoting Composer of the Week every other week throughout 2020 to Beethoven

Complete overkill. Another blow to the expansion of the repertoire.

Gareth Vaughan

Of course - but what do you expect of Radio 3? Someone with a bit of imagination could have planned a series of programmes involving perhaps a headline piece by Beethoven surrounded by the works of his contemporaries, or those he taught; or maybe we could have had programmes devoted to pieces inspired by (or dedicated to) Beethoven (or his memory). What a lot of interesting music might have been given an airing as part of the celebrations of the great man. What about a programme headlining the Diabelli Variations, then exploring the music of the OTHER composers who contributed variations to Diabelli's theme - and not just their variation either? These include: Kalkbrenner, Czerny, Drechsler, Mayseder, Tomasek, Vorisek, Pixis, Conradin Kreutzer, Schubert, Liszt, Hummel, Moscheles, F.X. Mozart, Gansbacher, as well as a host of others whose music is now completely forgotten. But no, just the same old totally unimaginative programming from unimaginative (and often ignorant) people. One despairs.

eschiss1

Hopefully, some of the individual COTW programs -will- do just that- as still happens even now- and (as happened recently with the week-or-so of concerts dedicated to Clara Schumann and contemporaries/etc) one got, a few weeks ago, 5 programs (not COTW but elsewhere @ BBC listing) of lieder by Felix Mendelssohn mainly interspersed with others connected with the Schumann family in some way.
(I agree, though, of course. I think Concertzender seems to do better with their Unknown is Unloved? and other series, for instance...)